Calcutta 151

Started by Scattergun2570, December 24, 2017, 06:15:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scattergun2570

I have an opportunity to buy one of these for $50..mechanically it's in very good working order...my questions are,,is it worth $50,,and are these considered good reels,,and what species is this intended for?

Zimbass

Like all Calcutta's this is a tank of a reel. Have only ever had issues with their drag washers, which is a simple fix with Carbontex washers.

I did have one that came in from a guy that fished his hard, and the Quick Fire Clutch bar was broken. Tried in vane to find a replacement, so ended up having to superglue parts to get it working again.

They are a multi species reel, intended for lighter presentations, but, can stand up to heavier use.

Being a leftie, these are not as common as a 150, so for a good condition one, the price is reasonable.

Terry.
Never was so much owed by so many to so few.

philaroman

M/MH f/w; L/ML s/w...  great reel / great price

you do know it's a lefty -- right correct?

Scattergun2570

Quote from: philaroman on December 24, 2017, 08:03:48 AM
M/MH f/w; L/ML s/w...  great reel / great price

you do know it's a lefty -- right correct?
Yes I always use left handed reels,,even though I am right handed. I don't understand how right handed people use right handed reels.

philaroman

I'm exactly in the same boat -- really hate switching hands after every cast

grab that Calcutta & KEEP YOUR BEST HAND ON YOUR ROD    :o

oc1

I think that should be worth at least a hundred bucks..... if the clutch bar is still functional.  A good project for someone would be to make replacement Calcutta clutch bars.  Otherwise, they will all eventually become inoperable.
-steve

Donnyboat

Hard to get parts for Shimano reels, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat