You gotta go when there biting!

Started by gstours, December 27, 2017, 07:44:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

Here is a short clip from the past,  two clips in one,  a bonus.  Just sayin.    Salmon trolling on the Maiko. ;)

I,m away from home right now and its killin me! ???      Happy Fishin.

Gobi King

Nice,
What is the air temp and water temp?

Is that a fly reel you caught the salmon on?

Here is MI once the water temps cool down they come closer and we can catch them long lining deep stick baits.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

David Hall

gstours

Mr. Gobi;  The water temp here in winter is from 32-38f and the Air Temp is warm for Alaska usually 10-38-45f on a warm day.   The seawater can freeze in some of the small bays in the back where the mixing of seawater is less.   Its kinda cool to troll around sheets of ice and floating chunks.  When its coldest is when its clear and its sunny too.   The winter salmon cruise the shorelines looking for food.
   Generally we dont fish downriggers or real deep.   As the weather warms in the spring the fishermen get more brave and will come off their couches and enjoy another buitiful day in paradise.
   My favorite reel for salmon is a mooching reel.  These are much like a fly reel, butt with a freespool option, better drags, and most have a clicker type fish alarm.   To me its more sporty to fish with a reel of this single action type.     Another pik shown below.

Gobi King

Thanks for the close up pic, Mooching reel,
I found your thread on the reel from last year :-)

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=16379.0

What kinda drag are you getting from it?

I looked up mooching reels on amazon and I was awakened by the prices on some of them.
Fichigan

Maxed Out

No downrigger ?? I see your rod doubled over, are you using a dipsy diver ??...or just a hunk of lead ??

Love the single action reel with 11' whip. Looks like it has knobs from a shimano knucklebuster.

All my biggest kings have come on single action reels. It's always a battle to see if you can outlast the fish before your arm falls off from reeling

BTW, nice fishbox Gary
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

gstours

We troll fairly fast 2-3 knots with plugs and less for pulling herrings,  The pull is from using a large deep six or Pink Lady diver to hold the baits down.   These pull a little harder, and trip when the fish hits to create less drag.   I need to show better rigging pictures for sure.   Just stay tuned,  and I,ll try.

Yes the knobs are from a shimano moocher,  one of my favorite alum hotrods here.   Tru Custom.

gstours

This is a saying of old: Not even catfish like to be catfished.   Especially if you a salmon.     Just sayin >:(
   Here a picture of a publick dock somewhere.    Just sayin ???

gstours

If your persistant luck may pay you a reward.  Some days you can fish all day and just get tired.  Butt its the hope that keeps me out there and not in front of the tube.   Maybe around this corner,  then it happens.   Fish Honn!!!! ::)

gstours

This is my latest addition to the larger spool moochers.  Its about 5 1/2 inch diameter in the spool, and has good bearings and a carbon fiber large drag disk replacing the standard cork drags.   Custom.   The handle knobs were moved in a little more than the earlier one shown to aid in speed cranking.  The jury is still out on which is better.    Every fish acts different when being forced to the boat.

What do you think?   Could be fun?

Gobi King

Quote from: gstours on December 29, 2017, 02:25:18 PM
   This is my latest addition to the larger spool moochers.  Its about 5 1/2 inch diameter in the spool, and has good bearings and a carbon fiber large drag disk replacing the standard cork drags.   Custom.   The handle knobs were moved in a little more than the earlier one shown to aid in speed cranking.  The jury is still out on which is better.    Every fish acts different when being forced to the boat.

Nice, is that an islander?
5.5 inch spool, nearly 20 inch of line retrieval with a 1:1, that is impressive!

What line do you use with these?
Fichigan

gstours

Thanks for the flattering question.   No it started out as a Rapala    (North Coast Moocher)  option out of Canada .  Fished it the first year and then modifies it to a larger spool as shown.
  I liked the reel butt wanted more.   The larger spool is the ticket when the fish rushes the boat waay out there,  you have every rite to think the fish is gone as you reel up slack line.      Meanwhile she/he is shaking head and thrying to throw the hook?   Your heart will stop.    This helps Speed up the process.   Is the fish still there or ??????   You wish at that time you could pad your bet!
   Many Aluminum Mooching reels are very good,  if not great.    Butt for me I like and can make a better reel at almost no cost.       No One Except Me Wants AA Large Diameter Spool??????   Thats something money cant buy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Dominick

Quote from: gstours on December 29, 2017, 02:25:18 PM

I'll tell you what I think.  I think that that is the finest welding of aluminum I have ever seen.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Gobi King

Good thinking on pulling in the knobs, but won't 2 knobs get in the way of speed reeling?

I looked up the rapala north coast mooooooooooooooocher, holy canolis,
that is a lot of $$$$

https://rapala.ca/products/north-coast-mooching    :o :o :o

Fichigan