A Mid-week After Work Quickie

Started by Tightlines667, December 28, 2017, 06:48:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

Bugged outta work 1 hr early, to take advantage of the nice weather.

Ran towards BO, and ran into Aku along the 300fa ledge.  Chased 'em for a bit, and picked off 2 singles in a 5" ninja on the short.

Lost the pile, so ran out and checked the bouy.  No life.

Found 3 Skuas circling up high, got hit by a nice Otaru in first pass underneath, same bait.

Threw out the big jets, and ran for the gate.  Back at the dock within 4 hours.

Burned 12 gals of fuel, and got sum fresh Aku for poke, the grill, and to fill the empty space in the freezer following Xmas dinner.

Beautiful evening out there, and nice to see some life around.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Tightlines667

Pics
Hope springs eternal

Captain64-200

That's the way afterwork should always be ! nice catch  John ...

I assume skuas are skipjack tunas , but what fish are Aku  and Otaru ?

I'm new here , and I 've never fished in Hawaï ...thanx
Fred from Biarritz ,

sdlehr

Wikipedia says that Skuas are birds, and Aku and Otaru are both skipjack tuna....
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Bryan Young

Yum.  Love Aku.  Dried or smoked is also great.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Captain64-200

Quote from: sdlehr on December 28, 2017, 12:06:05 PM
Wikipedia says that Skuas are birds, and Aku and Otaru are both skipjack tuna....

Thank you Sid ,I forgot Wiki knows everything ,including the vernacular animals names !   
Fred from Biarritz ,

coastal_dan

Such a sick boat John, love the way it looks with the big Senators.  Nice catches...
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Tightlines667

Quote from: coastal_dan on December 28, 2017, 05:26:49 PM
Such a sick boat John, love the way it looks with the big Senators.  Nice catches...

They do ad to the classic look.  I am hoping to convert over to 5-International 130ST reels though.  They are really much better reels for the type of fishing I do (esp. Good for live bait trolling, and fighting the 500lb+monsters that are always a possibility). 

I did notice my short corner was a bit 'surgy' on the Otaru, which ran off about 100yds at 27lbs.  May be time to service soon, and take a look at how Adam's insert drags held up after a year of fishing.

John
Hope springs eternal

Maxed Out

Cool lures, and I love the fighting chair always ready for the cow  ;)

12 gallons is just flat crazy low fuel consumption for all the trolling and motoring

Glad you rebounded from your Christmas eve goose egg trip.

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

MarkT

Around here skippies are mostly considered trash fish and are thrown back.  I've kept a little one and put it back out  as Wahoo bait.  I don't throw Wahoo back 'cuz they're Onolicious!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Tightlines667

Quote from: MarkT on December 28, 2017, 09:59:23 PM
Around here skippies are mostly considered trash fish and are thrown back.  I've kept a little one and put it back out  as Wahoo bait.  I don't throw Wahoo back 'cuz they're Onolicious!

I have been fighting my anti-Skipjack mindset since I arrived on island 18 years ago.  I think I won the battle.  I am now happy to catch them.

I love Wahoo, but that is a different game altogether.  Alotta the pure ahi guys don't like the Ono.
Hope springs eternal

Benni3

Great job,,,,and love all the pictures  ;D

Tightlines667

I tried for a repeat solo run yesterday after work.  I ran into a small group of Skipjack, and lost one that picked a bait up well I was setting the spread.  The birdsnest would have been much worse if I didn't have tye clicker on..lol.  There was a big group if False Killer Whales right where the Skipjack had been the day before, so no more action on the evening.  I am thinking of running to the banks for Mahi/Wahoo Tmrw, or Monday.

John
Hope springs eternal

Three se7ens

Quote from: Tightlines666 on December 28, 2017, 06:41:11 PM

I did notice my short corner was a bit 'surgy' on the Otaru, which ran off about 100yds at 27lbs.  May be time to service soon, and take a look at how Adam's insert drags held up after a year of fishing.

John

Take some pictures when you tear it down.  Im really interested in seeing the results.  Nice job on the fish, btw.