Penn 310 gti. 320 gti not known for casting

Started by Flats an blues, January 07, 2018, 10:02:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flats an blues

Well I read on here Alan recommended  to use the  t 321 oil on bearings but i fish from a boat  so  casting distance didnt matter but WOW man what a huge difference  ..anyone that says Penn gti won't cast worth a hoot never cleaned the grease out of bearings an used  the 321oil  simply amazing.   I cleaned an lubed 7 so far you just have to see for yourself it's unbelievable    Thanks for advise 

mo65

Oh yes indeed...the type of lube in the bearings of a reel makes a big difference in casting. For an added bonus clean out the levelwind bearings and add the 321 to those also. Sometimes it's too much though...end up bird nesting! LOL! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

thorhammer

Those will launch. I just finished a 330 a few minutes ago....I pulled it out of garage just to put a clamp back on it....but no......since I joined AT I had to go all in it and grease stuff and Corrosion X the bearings so a six inch metal planer board will cast better lol.

310 and 320 were my go-to trolling for Spanish macks and blues at the beach. They'd be some of the last reels I'd get rid of. Useful for a whole lot of stuff.

steelfish

Quote from: thorhammer on January 07, 2018, 10:58:47 PM
310 and 320 were my go-to trolling for Spanish macks and blues at the beach. They'd be some of the last reels I'd get rid of. Useful for a whole lot of stuff.

really nice to find that I have the same idea about them, not good casters at all but perfect for inshore bottom fishing and where my goto reels for trolling spanish macks and ocasional groupers on my local waters, for my 2 hours south zone I really need something stronger, but I also have them on my never to sell list of reels, perfect for my wife and daugthers to use, light and strong enough for almost everything inshore.
The Baja Guy

thorhammer

The 320 is a tough little niche: 4/0 size stuff in the boiler room, carbontex drags, levelwind durable as any, ball bearings, castable, and pretty corrosion free if you service properly. what's not to like?

Flats an blues

I use the 320 gti for flathead an blues.  They are great  simple to sevice an tough  an now they cast  great I like them an yes I've tried Abu 6500 an 7000.  Sold the Abu ''s an got more  penn gti. It's nice to have things all the same  you get used to them  for when the big ones hits you know your equipment   But I'm  a penn fan for 20 yrs I've got several  5500ss for bait fish an small channell

akfish

A decade ago, the 320 was, by far, the most common salmon reel I serviced. Now I see considerably fewer, at least partially because they have not been made for several years. (Penn's replacement, the level wind Squall is comparable but has its own set of problems.) One thing I've found in 320s that are fished a lot is that the right side plate eventually warps and causes the anti-reverse to fail. Finally, the last 320s that Penn made -- the G2 Chinese versions -- have thinner steel on the foot and tend to rust in the drag stack.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Bill B

Welcome T&B....the GTI series is really understated.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Decker

Quote from: Flats an blues on January 08, 2018, 12:29:19 PM
I use the 320 gti for flathead an blues.  They are great  simple to sevice an tough  an now they cast  great I like them an yes I've tried Abu 6500 an 7000.  Sold the Abu ''s an got more  penn gti. It's nice to have things all the same  you get used to them  for when the big ones hits you know your equipment   But I'm  a penn fan for 20 yrs I've got several  5500ss for bait fish an small channell

I've been looking for a Penn-bassadeur --  a conventional reel for throwing plugs and light baits from the surf and bay.   It is good to know that the TSI 321 makes a big difference.  Haven't tried it but need to now.   Reels I'm looking forward to comparing for this purpose:  Penn 10 (maybe with LW disabled), Squidder 146, Surfmaster 100, Baymaster 180.  The Baymaster is the lightest of the lot.  The 10 has the level-wind advantage, fastest gear ratio 4:1, and ball bearings.

I had considered the GTI's for bridge fishing.  The 320 is tough enough for some light winching and there is a Tani SS sleeve for it.  The level-wind is a plus, and if
it casts great with TSI321, bonus.  Flex is the concern.   It would be nice if someone would make a aluminum frame for it, though I don't think I've ever seen an aftermarket frame for a level-wind.