Line Lay

Started by Scattergun2570, December 20, 2017, 06:03:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scattergun2570

Quote from: handi2 on December 27, 2017, 11:30:52 PM
I just finished a box of Shimano's this afternoon. 2 of them were the Sahara 3000's.

Both of them, and everyone I run across, had the loose screw that attaches the spool shaft to the oscillating slider. Use Loctite on this screw. No need to take the screw out when servicing.

Both reels had no problem with line lay but he is using light braid. 20lb. Power Pro Maxquatro. Its 2lb diameter.

There were 2 shims on the main gear only under the bearing. As typical. No shims on top of the pinion gear. Or better said on top of the roller clutch inner tube before the rotor goes on.

These were fairly new reels. Your is 15 years old. I think thats the problem. 15 years ago many reels didnt like braided line.

Well,this one doesn't like mono either,and the screw that holds the shaft to the oscillation gear was not loose by any means,,so I still don't get what's happening.

philaroman

What other older Shimano 1000-4000 spinners do you have (precise models w/ "year suffix" - F,FA,FB,etc.)?

...any 90's 1000/2000 Stradic/Symetre that you want to upgrade from 2-stack drag, to 6-stack?

I may have a VERY interesting plan for you -- buy a parts/repair Sahara 4000FB (that's right -- FB, not FA) and you will have an UPGRADED Sahara 4000, ton of spare parts, AND upgrade a 1000/2000 to monster-drag

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 27, 2017, 11:48:06 AM
I couldn't find the schematic...

Sal,
older schematics: http://www.reelschematic.com

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Scattergun2570

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 28, 2017, 01:37:25 AM
Ah, I thought so.
Thanks philasroman
The correct one:
http://www.reelschematic.com/wp-content/uploads/schematics/Shimano/Sahara/SHIMANO%20SAHARA%20SH4000FA(2003).pdf
Very little change from the two.

Sal
I threw it back together earlier "with" the bent gear shim.. it doesn't feel quite as smooth as it did before I took it apart. I don't know if it's because of the Yamalube/Corrosion  X mixture? Seems a bit harder to start up,and it doesn't spin as long when you let go of the handle. Also,,why is it that the sleeve that goes in that AR clutch assembly is not pictured on the schematic? I wasn't sure which side was up.

philaroman

Quote from: Scattergun2570 on December 28, 2017, 02:57:04 AM
...Also,,why is it that the sleeve that goes in that AR clutch assembly is not pictured on the schematic? I wasn't sure which side was up.

part of the A/R assembly...  should be replaced as a set (in case there's a microscopic difference in parts made many years apart), but I've never had an issue swapping 'em
no individual part# (like clutch & drag knob innards)
always wide side up, as in the photo

should be one more black screw holding the clutch together
be gentle while it's detached, or rollers/springs may get dislodged
no big deal when reel is assembled w/ 3 more silver screws holding it down/together

Scattergun2570

Quote from: philaroman on December 28, 2017, 04:43:52 AM
Quote from: Scattergun2570 on December 28, 2017, 02:57:04 AM
...Also,,why is it that the sleeve that goes in that AR clutch assembly is not pictured on the schematic? I wasn't sure which side was up.

part of the A/R assembly...  should be replaced as a set (in case there's a microscopic difference in parts made many years apart), but I've never had an issue swapping 'em
no individual part# (like clutch & drag knob innards)
always wide side up, as in the photo

Should be shown on schematic in my opinion..it's not attached,so if someone was removing it who is not familiar with the direction it should face,they would be lost.

should be one more black screw holding the clutch together
be gentle while it's detached, or rollers/springs may get dislodged
no big deal when reel is assembled w/ 3 more silver screws holding it down/together

philaroman

Quote from: Scattergun2570 on December 28, 2017, 05:16:14 AM
Should be shown on schematic in my opinion..it's not attached,so if someone was removing it who is not familiar with the direction it should face,they would be lost.
that's from OUR perspective
from theirs -- why show an unnumbered part that they don't sell separately & deal w/ extra calls they can't resolve