Curado 200b

Started by George P., December 30, 2017, 07:11:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George P.

I got a question regarding one of my Curado 200 b's. It seemed like the drag was worn out so I changed the drags out for some carbontex. It added a little more drag but It still didn't have as much drag as it is supposed to or I would expect it to have. Ill have to lock it down super tight to get a decent amount of drag. What could be the problem and what can I do. Thanks.

handi2

George if the drags are too greasy it will result in low drag ratings. You may also have a problem with the drag star running out of room. Before putting the handle on there should be the spring washers and a flat washer. I use extra flat washers (bearing thrust washer) to add height. Doing this makes sure the drag star has plenty of room to fully tighten without any interference with the body of the reel.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

philaroman

the original drag washers were pretty thick, as I recall -- if the new CF is thinner, you loose part of your drag range at the high end

George P.

oc1

I juggle the thickness of the carbontex and number of Belleville washers so there is a slight bit of drag when the star is backed all the way out.  I fish with almost no drag until the fish is hooked but want to be able to crank it down quickly with just a couple of flicks of the star.  If you leave the drag tightened down at the end of the day it will be more compressed next time you use it.  There will be some play in the star when it is completely backed off too.  Curados are not designed for or known to have very high drag numbers.  They are smoother than you would imagine they could be with only two washers though.
-steve

handi2

Quote from: philaroman on December 31, 2017, 12:21:33 AM
the original drag washers were pretty thick, as I recall -- if the new CF is thinner, you loose part of your drag range at the high end

Hence the use of another bearing thrust washer to make up for the difference in thickness. If the drag star doesn't bottom out you dont lose any max drag.

Shown is a schematic for a Tekota 300. I could have used a Calcutta schematic. Part number 350 is the bearing thrust washer. I use these on top of the clutch bearing's inner sleeve to adjust the drag. Once the inner sleeve is pushed all the way in thats as high as the drag can go. Adding one of these washers makes sure you get all the drag the reel can make.
https://fishshop.shimano.com/vip/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441848358
Gulf Breeze, FL

Zimbass

Quote from: handi2 on December 31, 2017, 07:39:28 PM

Hence the use of another bearing thrust washer to make up for the difference in thickness. If the drag star doesn't bottom out you dont lose any max drag.

Shown is a schematic for a Tekota 300. I could have used a Calcutta schematic. Part number 350 is the bearing thrust washer. I use these on top of the clutch bearing's inner sleeve to adjust the drag. Once the inner sleeve is pushed all the way in thats as high as the drag can go. Adding one of these washers makes sure you get all the drag the reel can make.
https://fishshop.shimano.com/vip/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441848358

Confirm 359 ?
Never was so much owed by so many to so few.

George P.

I have two other reels just like it. They all have the same washers. I don't get why this one just isn't putting out drag. Everything seems fine and is in the right place. I put new drag washers in my other reels as well and it added more drag. I really don't know what's wrong with it. Also I tried repositioning the washers like this () and it didn't do anything. If only shimano still serviced these reels.

handi2

Quote from: Zimbass on January 01, 2018, 04:26:14 AM
Quote from: handi2 on December 31, 2017, 07:39:28 PM

Confirm 359 ?

BNT2128 bearing thrust washer. The schematic shown above is the Tekota 800 which uses a larger one. This new schematic shows a Calcutta. They use the same size gear sleeve.

https://fishshop.shimano.com/vip/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441848472

The thrust washer excactly fits on top of the inner sleeve for the clutch bearing. You can use more than one if needed. It must be higher than the bearing or you will never get max drag.

The Trinidads and Toriums are the same way.
Gulf Breeze, FL

handi2

Shown is a Curado

The top of the inner sleeve is mighty close to the ARB. I added one thrust washer to make sure the bellvilles wouldn't bottom out and nothing rubs the reel body.

Keith
Gulf Breeze, FL