New Year's Solo Bank Run

Started by Tightlines667, January 02, 2018, 02:00:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

I took advantage of the lull in the trades to make a solo run to the banks.

Didn't leave the dock until 0545hrs, put out 7" spread, and headed to the far end of Penguin.  Slow up hill climb, with no hits in the channel.

Arrived on scene around 0830hrs, and trolled the ledge towards Molokai.  Picked up a single Mahi in the blind on the short rigger after about 20minutes.

Watched a big Humpback put on a show for me.  He breached 8 or 10 times while turning towards my boat, maybe 1/4 mile out.

Found a big group of boobies & Mahi pounding small groups of flying fish.  Worked the group for 30minutes, and lost a fish on the long rigger, then picked up 2 more on each of the corners.

Things settled down, and I trolled the ledge until 1130.

Put out the small marlin lures, and ran hard downhill for home.  No knockdowns.

Back at the dock at 1330hrs.  Burned 21gals, sold the 24lbs of Mahi to a friend for $75.  Nice to see some life, just wish I had a bit more action.

Though, some is better then none.

John

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Rivverrat

Those Mahi are beautiful fish.  When you say " lull in the trades " are you speaking of the wind ?

22 gallons of fuel would last me 3 days & many miles running the river.

Tightlines667

Quote from: Rivverrat on January 02, 2018, 02:10:24 AM
Those Mahi are beautiful fish.  When you say " lull in the trades " are you speaking of the wind ?

22 gallons of fuel would last me 3 days & many miles running the river.

Yes, the trade winds typically blow outta the east with more days over 20knots then not in the winter months.  To day they dropped to 15 in the am, and 8 after 1100hrs.  Still had 5'+ head seas , and a 7' cross swell stacked up in the channel on the run over though.  My 290hp singke screw diesel burns about 1.5gals/hr trolling, and I average about 2.5-3 when running for 1/3 of the day.  Most guys burn about twice the fuel thst I do for a day of fishing. 

John
Hope springs eternal

Rivverrat

Nothing wrong with a 1.5 gallons an hour. Thats great !  So most of your fuel is being burned getting there & coming back.... Jeff

Tightlines667

Quote from: Rivverrat on January 02, 2018, 02:25:39 AM
Nothing wrong with a 1.5 gallons an hour. Thats great !  So most of your fuel is being burned getting there & coming back.... Jeff

Yes, but it depends on the day.  A rarely fish the bank, because the run there and back us not particularly productive, and it's 25nm one way.  When the fish are 8-15nm out, I can troll slower all day and save fuel.  If I wouod have slowed down today, would be a 11 hour fishing day (I would just be coming in the channel now), instead if 8 hours.  I would have burned 16.5gals, instead of 22, and likely have ended up with the same results.  Actually, I may have been late to the banks, and missed the early am bite.  Mid day action is usually slow, unless there are a lot of billfish around.

Hope springs eternal

Benni3

Shark Hunter

John,
You are getting it down to a Science.
I only dream of the fishing you have at your fingers.
You have the ultimate setup and fish a lot of the same gear I use.
The time will come for you, as does us all that put in the time. ;)
Life is Good!

FatTuna

Fishing solo is my absolute favorite. No compromises. No complaining. No "second captain". There is something very real about being out in the middle of the ocean by yourself. Everything you catch is all your doing.

Could be worse man. Back home it's been in the negatives all week. An average day of fishing is way better than wearing your thermals indoors.

Shark Hunter

It is so cold here. I don't want to go outside.
We are breaking a 90 year record today with 5 below.
I have some work to do on my old truck.
After taking the garbage out, I was done after two minutes.
It will cut you to the bone. :o
Life is Good!

Three se7ens

Quote from: FatTuna on January 02, 2018, 04:13:39 AM
Fishing solo is my absolute favorite. No compromises. No complaining. No "second captain". There is something very real about being out in the middle of the ocean by yourself. Everything you catch is all your doing.

You basically just summed up why I usually go out in a kayak.  I have a boat and friends with boats, but I find the fishing so much more enjoyable from a kayak.  I do what I want, when I want, and if I dont catch anything, I dont have anyone to blame. Throw a few like minded people into the mix, and you have a group that can spread out, or congregate on the fish when someone finds them.  

FatTuna

Quote from: Three se7ens on January 02, 2018, 04:27:01 AM
Quote from: FatTuna on January 02, 2018, 04:13:39 AM

You basically just summed up why I usually go out in a kayak.  I have a boat and friends with boats, but I find the fishing so much more enjoyable from a kayak.  I do what I want, when I want, and if I dont catch anything, I dont have anyone to blame. Throw a few like minded people into the mix, and you have a group that can spread out, or congregate on the fish when someone finds them.  

It's sad because I feel like only a minority of people think like that. Occasionally, it's nice to just absorb your surroundings and hear yourself think. Depend on no one other than yourself; it's the ultimate test of who you really are.

I also really like camping in the middle of the wilderness solo. I like making a little personal challenge out of it. For example, no lighters allowed.

Rivverrat

Yes there is something to be said about doing it alone. I have over the last couple of years turned down more paying people than I have taken out. 2 years ago I took these 2 out & something about them I dont know exactly what bothered me.

I was on the river a couple weeks later & an airboat goes by & those 2 are seated up front. One waves while the other looks straight ahead. The next day I motor down to the spot I had taken these 2 fishing to find well over 50 lines set along with 4 illegal trot lines. After 2 weeks there was no longer a  fish left in that area that weighed more than 5 lbs.

I hear the same sort of thing can happen out on the salt water.... Jeff  

Swami805

When I owned a boat some of my favorite days were fishing solo. No distractions, more time to observe and think. Don't miss owning the boat that much though.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

thorhammer

Good trip. love fishing solo, as you say its all on you. Get us more pics in of that fantastic boat!

STRIPER LOU

I too enjoy fishing solo. My concentration level is focused and determined.

John, keep up the great work and your boat is about the best you could own.

.................Lou