Main Menu

Hi Alan!

Started by akfish, February 16, 2009, 07:45:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

akfish

Hi Alan -- First, thanks for the shout out to my reel repair business, Taku Reel Repair. (I'm not sure how much it helps, though, because if people read your posts they'll never bring me their reels!) But I do have a couple comments to your posts.
First, I see quite a few Avets in the shop. Almost all of them come in with saltwater contamination on the drag washers. Sometimes I can clean it, but often I need to install a new drag washers, greased, of course. The interesting thing is that this happens on many reels that very clearly have been taken care of -- washed after fishing, etc. I'm not sure what this means. All I can do is to remind people that they need to have their reels completely disassembled at least once per year.
And while we're on Avets: I think they are great reels but really, really hate the side load issue. I've tried swapping out the pinion bearing in my personal HX but the side load is still there and even fairly moderate drag settings. I'm about to stop using it.
Second, I love the idea of big handles. They feel so much better. However, I'm concerned that you can do harm to many reels. For example, if you stick an oversize handle on a Penn 330, fish it with 80# spectra for halibut (like so many people do up here), and crank down the drag, lots of bad things are going to happen -- bad gear sleeve, torqued frame and thus bad gears, etc. Do you see much of this?
Tight Lines,
Bill
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

ALASKAFISHMAN

Bill

I am a new member and also live in Alaska (Kenai Peninsula)  I have a SX 6/4 MC Raptor and it is fast becoming my favorite reel.  It started out as just my rock fish jigging reel (set up on a med action Trevala)  Every now and again I would catch a halibut while jigging for ling cod.  I ended up catching a 225# butt and never had the drag more than 75% engaged.  After that it seems I grab that little SX and my jigging rod even when targeting the Butt.  I think the reel is capable of the task.  Just wanted to get your opinion on it.

Thanks
Brent
Fish and hunt, Fish and hunt, eat, sleep fish and hunt, fish and hunt

alantani

thanks, bill!  for damage because of the handle, i haven't seen any problems.  most damage is just because of the overall drag load, particularly when drags are sticky.  i know for sure they are alot easier on the hands when you are on a big fish!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!