Need buffer recommendations

Started by 1badf350, January 05, 2018, 01:24:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1badf350

So being new to this, i need some recommendations on a bench mounted buffer. I have a bench grinder that i can put a buffing wheel on, but will that be OK at constant 3600rpm? I dont want to damage sideplates or chrome finish by buffing too agressively.
What to you guys use?
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

thorhammer

I'm about to do the same thing on my grinder.  i think you will be ok, just start off with a very fine jewelers rouge and see what works. We watched the technician at Penn buff the crap out of new anodized International plates.

Anyone knows differently, please speak up.

Tiddlerbasher

I use a standard bench grinder (1/3 HP) with a pig tail fitted (left side - LH thread. Right side RH thread). I simply screw on the 4/5/6" buffing wheel to the pig tail. Each of the buffing wheels is loaded with different compounds - starting with course red to fine white. The last buffing wheel is loaded with carnauba wax for the final shine. I also use the wax wheel for spools ;)

Alto Mare

Quote from: thorhammer on January 05, 2018, 01:30:39 PM
I'm about to do the same thing on my grinder.  i think you will be ok, just start off with a very fine jewelers rouge and see what works. We watched the technician at Penn buff the crap out of new anodized International plates.

Anyone knows differently, please speak up.
John, do you remember the size of those motors? looked as they came from a 747 ;D

1badf350, I use a 6" grinder , a Dremel, or a Foredom. I will also use my drill press with the correct buffing attachment.
My opinion to you is to stay away from Harbor Freight Tools when it comes to power tools, almost anything else is a pretty good deal there.
My Foredom does the best job if I really need to control the tip, but you're limited on the size of the buffing wheel.
On plates or handle knobs, speed control is very important.
To answer your question, yes you should be ok using your bench mounted buffer. You could control it by getting closer or farther with the work piece.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

thorhammer

Sal, I recall it didn't take but about ten seconds, and that thing has seen probably polished tens of thousands of frames and plates. Not weekend warrior piece certainly.

Alto Mare

Quote from: thorhammer on January 05, 2018, 02:12:21 PM
Sal, I recall it didn't take but about ten seconds, and that thing has seen probably polished tens of thousands of frames and plates. Not weekend warrior piece certainly.
Yep, I remember that, It would have probably flown out of our hands if we gave it a shot;D. That worker's hands must be like vises.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 05, 2018, 02:20:22 PM
Quote from: thorhammer on January 05, 2018, 02:12:21 PM
Yep, I remember that, It would have probably flown out of our hands if we gave it a shot;D. That worker's hands must be like vises.
Sal, I've shaken your hands...your hands are like vises too.  Must be all the masonry and rock work that you do.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

RowdyW

Buffing wheels should be run at 1800 RPM or less. Bench grinders are to fast for buffing. If you use a bench grinder be sure to use a shatter proof face shield, gloves, and stout clothing in case that buffing wheel disintigrates.

STRIPER LOU

Agree with Rudy on this one. I'm using a Dayton 5/8 hp at 1750 rpm's. This particular Dayton has a bit longer shaft and HD bearings. It gives you more space for maneuvering parts. I also like the ability of having 2 wheels set up with different hardness's and different compounds.

With that said it makes a mess in the shop so I seldom use it. I find I can actually get a better finish by hand if I prep the material properly. Even chrome rings with scratches come out as new unless its down to the brass.

Let us know how you make out,  ..  Lou

Tiddlerbasher

If you have a fast grinder use smaller buffing wheels - most of mine are 4". I've also just added a speed control.

oc1

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on January 05, 2018, 08:05:05 PMjust added a speed control.
Isn't it a brushless motor Tiddler?  That must have been an expensive inverter or VFD thing.  If you use a little universal type motor with brushes it is cheap to add speed control, but you do not get much torque and it will bog down.  Then again, bogging down a buffer may not be a bad thing if you don't burn it up.
-steve

exp2000

Jewelers bench drives are expensive but they are ideal for small reel parts which is usually what I work on.

I use it mostly for restoring scored worm drive assemblies.

I was lucky to get this one from a friend. A little adaptation and I managed to fit a brass wire brush and a felt buff.

It also comes with speed control.
~

Maxed Out

I got fed up with parts getting ripped from my grasp while buffing with bench top grinder that was way to high RPM.

I bought a Delta variable speed bench top grinder and installed buffing pads and lowest rpm is perfect and no more expensive parts flying across the room. The buffing pads and Delta variable speed grinder were purchased at my local Lowes home improvement center.

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

1badf350

Thanks guys! I will head over to Lowes tomorrow and see what they have
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Tiddlerbasher

If you are just buffing stuff torque ain't important - so use a regular speed control. They aren't ideal on an induction motor - ie regular grinder - but they do the job. OR if the motor is way too fast use a small wheel 3 or 4". no need to spend mega bucks ;)