first (and very late) fishing report for 2011- 6/24/2011

Started by alantani, July 04, 2011, 04:35:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

finally!  roger and i were sitting in the garage.  well, working on reels, what else?  he says, "i'm going fishing on friday with a buddy of mine."  i was free that day, so i told him we could take the boat.   we spent all day wednesday and most of thursday going through it.  friday morning we headed out to half moon bay, looking at big swells but zero wind.  we had to deal with this stuff all day.

we tried one spot in deep water first and pulled up nothing.  then we headed in shallow, back to the "triangle of death!"

we stuck a fairly easy limit of rockfish, two cabs and two lings.  meet roger.....

here is roger's friend, boo......

and our new favorite deckhand, jonathan!

the poor guy cleaned all of these.

rough seas, no wind, cooperative fish and a great crew.  very nice first trip.  and nice to get away from the reels for a while.  
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Norcal Pescador

Good thing you kept those fish chained up.  I see the one rockfish trying to eat the strut for the cooler lid. ;D ;D
Some days ya just gotta go fishin! 8)
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Alto Mare

Nice Alan, I always enjoy your fishing reports. Poor Jonathan, he looks beat, that's a lot of fish that he had to clean. I hope he got to catch a few, otherwise you probably won't see him on that boat again;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

forgot to add the best part.  dinner at jeff's afterwards!!!!!

Alto Mare

That looks great Alan, beautiful presentation , I bet it tasted better than it looked. I'm going to need some recipes, but first I have to catch some fish ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

gherase

Nice catch Alan, by the way are all of these rods Trevalas?
Never the less...nice catch.
Quote from: alantani on July 04, 2011, 04:35:12 PM

finally!  roger and i were sitting in the garage.  well, working on reels, what else?  he says, "i'm going fishing on friday with a buddy of mine."  i was free that day, so i told him we could take the boat.   we spent all day wednesday and most of thursday going through it.  friday morning we headed out to half moon bay, looking at big swells but zero wind.  we had to deal with this stuff all day.

we tried one spot in deep water first and pulled up nothing.  then we headed in shallow, back to the "triangle of death!"

we stuck a fairly easy limit of rockfish, two cabs and two lings.  meet roger.....

here is roger's friend, boo......

and our new favorite deckhand, jonathan!

the poor guy cleaned all of these.

rough seas, no wind, cooperative fish and a great crew.  very nice first trip.  and nice to get away from the reels for a while.  

alantani

good eye.  yes, i have a two full sets (14 total) of the old trevalas.  the kids like the rods because of the longer foregrip.  it's alot easier from them to handle. 

jonathan.han

Definitely not my better fishing face Alan. I believe I saw the camera and thought,"This is going to be everywhere." Sure enough...  I enjoy watching other people getting on fish since it's more challenging to get someone else to get on the stick. As I recall, Alan was ushering me to fish more, but I instinctively want to gaff the fish much like Alan. I believe I got 6 or so of the 10 fish on the last drift :D  42, 43, 45, 47...  Did you ever get a picture of that cabezon? If you did, could you send it as an attachment to me? jon8han@yahoo.com   Alan is a wonderful skipper. He knows how that Grady drifts even in the mixed swell and south wind we had that day. Something that, clearly, benefitted all of us on deck. Have to do it again soon. I have a charter on Friday on the New Gravy, but looks like the weather may not be so cooperative and I don't know if we want to take these Central Valley guys out. We will see. Then again, there's a few commercial opportunities that could line up this weekend if it works out.
raw instinct

jonathan.han

I so regret busting my TVC-70ML...Now, I'm stuck with two of these TVC-66Ms :-\ Should've just sent it in to Shimano, but I needed a stick for the WSB and that was the closest and they're better suited for the larger models anyways. Guess I'll just have to pickup one of the new ones ::) in 20-40lb
raw instinct

Alto Mare

Alan, can you share what you used to catch those nice fish and your rigging technique? Here in the NE we usually use top and bottom rigs. Most of us make our own though, we don't like to use the preassembled rigs from a store.

Bryan Young

It all depends.  Sometimes we use shrimp flies, #2 hook with a small piece of squid, a 6-12 oz lead head with a swim bait with and without whole squid pinned to the lead head, main to a 3 way swivel to a min.  3 oz lead ball, with a 3 foot leader to a#2 treble,...  It varies from person to person and their preferences.

I like to use a swim bait or daimond jig on the low with a high usually a 6" curly tail 3' above the swim bait/daimond jig.  Then sometimes, you just have to go small to get bit.  If we can get through these reels, then maybe we could post a tutorial on rock cod rigging and techniques.  Alan may have it posted somewhere in another forum though.  Will look.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

alantani

we are only allowed two hooks.  a treble on a bar of some sort still counts as one hook, though.  i buy the hooks in bulk and make leaders with a single shrimp fly so that you can put a bar or big lead head scampi at the bottom.  i also have some double hook shrimp flies, but then you have to use a plain weight.  a small strip of squid finishes off the offering.  they're pretty effective.

Dominick

Sal:  I've had good success with cut up pieces of anchovie.  Not the eating kind packed in olive oil.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

Quote from: alantani on July 07, 2011, 07:17:55 PM
we are only allowed two hooks.  a treble on a bar of some sort still counts as one hook, though.  i buy the hooks in bulk and make leaders with a single shrimp fly so that you can put a bar or big lead head scampi at the bottom.  i also have some double hook shrimp flies, but then you have to use a plain weight.  a small strip of squid finishes off the offering.  they're pretty effective.

Ok Alan, I took a closer look at the line that you sent me, thanks again.  Now I have to know how you tied that loop in the middle, I've been making my own rigs for a while  now and I've never seen anything like that. Did the leader come preassembled or did you make the loop?
Quote from: Pescachaser on July 08, 2011, 03:05:52 AM

Sal:  I've had good success with cut up pieces of anchovie.  Not the eating kind packed in olive oil.  Dominick

Dominick, I'm going to give you one of our secret, here in the NE we use baccala for bait, good for any species even for yourself just bring a lemon with you ;D