Penn 113h stock vs aluminum spool

Started by seaeagle2, July 07, 2011, 04:52:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seaeagle2

I'm in the gradual process of swapping out my 320GTI's for 113H's for halibut fishing.  The 113H is a lot heavier (Duh) than the 320, and the Washington halibut fishery is "pay your dues" type where you're fishing all day to get a single fish (if you're lucky), not like you guys in Alaska that drop down and get a fish  ;D would swapping in an aluminum spool save much if any weight ?  Would going to the new style graphite 1/2 frame be worth it?  Even the 320 gets heavy after a full day of jigging.
"One life, don't blow it" Kona Brewing
\"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\'d be a shortage of fishing poles\" Doug Larson

Bryan Young

Are you buying a new Penn 113H?  I believe the new Penn 113H comes with an aluminum spool already.

Weight, there is a substanial weight difference between the brass spool and the aluminum.  Also, the aluminum will hold up better if you will be using spectra as it seems more ridged than the brass spool that may warp under high tension spectra fills.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

you're going to save some weight, but probably not enough to justify the cost.......   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

seaeagle2

I got a used one from one of the members on here, that has the stock brass spool so I was thinking of replacing the spool on that one, and I'm saving my mad money for another one, so I may try to see if I can find a used 113H or 113HL and go through it myself....
\"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\'d be a shortage of fishing poles\" Doug Larson

Norcal Pescador

QuoteWeight, there is a substanial weight difference between the brass spool and the aluminum.  Also, the aluminum will hold up better if you will be using spectra as it seems more ridged than the brass spool that may warp under high tension spectra fills.

Quote from: alantani on July 07, 2011, 06:18:59 PM
you're going to save some weight, but probably not enough to justify the cost.......   :-\

Bryan and Alan are both correct. Although I have 80# Spectra packed pretty tight on my brass/chrome-spooled 114h without any problems ..... yet. ;D  Have you tried using a rail plate? It's a nice (cheap  ;D ) way to rest the arms and wrists especially if the swells are making the boat do the jigging for you.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

seaeagle2

I don't have  rails in the cockpit area on my boat (18' Trophy), plus, after changing out the drags  on a couple Penn 285's I own with the help of this site, pulling a 113h  apart and changing the spool sounds like fun.... ;D Also I sold my wife on the idea that instead of spending a few grand to hotrod my truck, I could hot rod a reel for a lot less ;)

akfish

I think I know where you got that reel... The aluminum spool is lighter and much better for casting, if that's what you need to do. The graphite half frame 113Hs are, in my opinion, inferior to the older post reels because the brass inserts in the frame frequently pop out under stress. That said, I have several half frame 113h's with aluminum spools that I'll swap straight up for your reel if you prefer a lighter reel.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska