Vinegar mix or Simple Green? Which is safer?

Started by 1badf350, January 18, 2018, 05:15:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gfish

Quote from: 1badf350 on January 18, 2018, 06:09:19 PM
You guys crack me up. LOL. Thanks Fred! Will copy and print your detailed response! I am starting to keep a "restoration binder" at home for quick reference.
Yeah. Thanks Fred. I been lookin for an all inclusive post that I can copy and hang in my work area, to go along with a tutorial of sorts that Mo posted a-while back( thanks Mo).
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

1badf350

Quote from: Midway Tommy on January 18, 2018, 06:34:24 PM
Quote from: 1badf350 on January 18, 2018, 06:09:19 PM
You guys crack me up. LOL. Thanks Fred! Will copy and print your detailed response! I am starting to keep a "restoration binder" at home for quick reference.

Check out ORCA for a great Reel Restoration book at a reasonable price that caters toward antique & collectible reels. There are a lot of great tips in there from some of the most knowledgeable collectors in the world. Restoration and general user reel service can differ greatly in some aspects and it's a great resource to have at arm's length.

As a side note, I only use vinegar to loosen corrosion when I can't get threaded or friction/spring fit pieces apart. I don't trust the reaction on some plated surfaces.  

Thanks Tommy!!
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

erikpowell

Quote from: foakes on January 18, 2018, 05:49:12 PM
Hi Chris --

You made a good point about how much you have learned.

If a serious person pays attention to most of the topics on our site for a period of 6 months, practices and rebuilds their own reels, acquires reels to repair and restore, asks questions, learns and listens -- they will know as much or more than a professional reel tech could teach them in 10 years.

This is an accelerated, advanced course in reel repair, service, and restoration.

I use vinegar to halt and arrest the verdigris effect (salt corrosion).

I use simple green to clean metal parts and sometimes a quick bath in the SG for bakelite or anodized parts (not plastic).

I use HD purple degreaser for metal parts (chrome, brass, bronze, copper, steel, SS) that are heavily encrusted with dried on grease, etc.

I use DAWN dish soap for an overnight soak of greasy parts that the above products may damage.

I use Mineral Spirits for an effective soak overnight of old crusty parts.  It is gentle and safer than other solvents.

And for a quick, effective cleaning of any metal parts (steel, brass, bronze, copper, steel, SS, pot metal alloys, etc,) I use straight Lacquer Thinner.  It is quick, effective, evaporates, fairly inexpensive for a gallon, and reusable a few times if filtered with a fine mesh such as a gold coffeemaker filter.

All of these should be used carefully, well ventilated with the exception of the gentle Dawn.

And I also use a sonic cleaner to speed up the process as appropriate and safe.  I use small class containers to isolate the various solutions within the SS US cleaner tank filled with water.

Anytime you use Lacquer, or Mineral Spirits -- dispose of any rags outside -- either spread out to air dry -- or in a closed metal container.  Otherwise, spontaneous combustion is a sure possibility.

Safety, common sense, and care are important -- for others as well as yourself -- and for the parts of a reel.

Best,

Fred

Bula Fred,

I listened to and heeded your advice on cleaning products and procedures long ago.
Btw, I've had my new Sonic cleaner as NIB and unopened for almost 2 years now  :o :o
Hope to get it out one of these days and revisit that Ultrasonic thread you did a couple years ago.

Question:

Where does kerosene fit into your solvent category?

I had an old-timey car collector neighbor years back who wouldn't use water to wash his cars...he always rubbed them down with kerosene for cleaning.
His Mercedes and Porsche were always Concours winners!

I've been using it for years as a soak and cleaner (love the smell  ;D )

Any potential pitfalls in using kerosene that I don't know about?

Mineral spirits is practically unobtainium over here as is any remotely affordable qty of lacquer thinner.
They really nail it to us on solvents here in Fiji.

I also have a 5gal drum of that purple degreaser you recommended which I bought with the sonic cleaner, but haven't opened that yet either.

I haven't seen much mention of kerosene here.

Vinaka!

festus

Quote from: erikpowell on January 19, 2018, 12:59:58 AM
Question:

Where does kerosene fit into your solvent category?

I had an old-timey car collector neighbor years back who wouldn't use water to wash his cars...he always rubbed them down with kerosene for cleaning.
His Mercedes and Porsche were always Concours winners!

I've been using it for years as a soak and cleaner (love the smell  ;D )

Any potential pitfalls in using kerosene that I don't know about?

Vinaka!

Back in the 1970s these automatic car washes used to have a button for hot wax.  Cost was 50 cents extra.  I always heard the vehicle got sprayed with a mix of kerosene and water, was told that the kerosene made water bead off the car. 

As far as using kerosene for a solvent, if you like it, go for it.  Some don't like the smell. l use lighter fluid or lacquer thinner. I'd rather use kerosene than gasoline.

erikpowell

I was always a sucker for the Hot Wax add on :)
Ah, the good old days  ;)

oc1

Kerosene is an oil, a lubricant, a solvent and a fuel.  Something for everyone.  It has not been refined to the point of separating them.  When the volatile solvent stuff evaporates off it will leave an oily residue.  The oil residue will not last as long as modern lubricants but they should all be miscible (mixable?).  It's really handy stuff to have around.  Rags damp with kerosene or linseed oil are the worst about catching on fire if left piled up in a heap.
-steve

Eddie Hernandez

Hi its slow at work so im just surfing the site on different topics and taking notes ;).. I use a vinegar that i purchase at dollar tree($1) works really well for me !!!! I have restored some pretty bad neglected reels i put them in a 24 hour soak in this stuff and its amazing how effective it is, it has caused no damage to chrome, plastic, etc.

ed.

handi2

Simple Green can do wonders on metal and chromed parts. Even removing corrosion. Just yesterday i had a few TLD's to do. The chromed handles had all the pitting from saltwater. 8 minuets in the simple green and ultrasonic cleaner. Then a soft once over with TSI and 0000 wool. Like new again.

I dont use lacquer cleaner much at all. Mineral spirits in a parts washer. As I take the reel apart all the small parts go into a SS Tea Infuser. The big parts go in a SS colander. I have a big Tupperware bowl in my parts washer. The colander fits into the bowl full of mineral spirits. After all the parts are clean they go in my laundry tub sink (in the shop) with another Tupperware bowl full of hot water and dawn soap. This washes most of the mineral spirits off the parts. Then i go a couple of feet to my air hose and they get a blow dry.

They go to the US cleaner if needed. Penn chromed bronze spools will come clean and free of corrosion if put in the US cleaner for 15 minutes or so.

I have to work fast so i do things as quickly as i can. A 4/0 reel takes about 5 minutes or less to disassemble, clean, wash and dry. Ready to go back together.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Tightlines667

Quote from: handi2 on April 25, 2018, 10:36:35 PM
Simple Green can do wonders on metal and chromed parts. Even removing corrosion. Just yesterday i had a few TLD's to do. The chromed handles had all the pitting from saltwater. 8 minuets in the simple green and ultrasonic cleaner. Then a soft once over with TSI and 0000 wool. Like new again.

I dont use lacquer cleaner much at all. Mineral spirits in a parts washer. As I take the reel apart all the small parts go into a SS Tea Infuser. The big parts go in a SS colander. I have a big Tupperware bowl in my parts washer. The colander fits into the bowl full of mineral spirits. After all the parts are clean they go in my laundry tub sink (in the shop) with another Tupperware bowl full of hot water and dawn soap. This washes most of the mineral spirits off the parts. Then i go a couple of feet to my air hose and they get a blow dry.

They go to the US cleaner if needed. Penn chromed bronze spools will come clean and free of corrosion if put in the US cleaner for 15 minutes or so.

I have to work fast so i do things as quickly as i can. A 4/0 reel takes about 5 minutes or less to disassemble, clean, wash and dry. Ready to go back together.

My methods are very similar, but I put parts in jars or coffee cans with simple green or mineral spirits (bearings), then sonic cleaner, 0000 steel wool/brush water rinse in sink, then air dry. 
Keith, I like that you use an air compressor to dry, I have thought about using the drying cycle in the dishwasher to do the job, but mostly they sit while I hand dry plates and spool, wax spool, and polish plates and/or chrome parts.  Sometimes I soak bronze parts in straight vinegar for 15minutes, and rinse since it really restores the metal.  I take nearly 5hrs per reel though with the extra restoration steps.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

1badf350

John try some compressed air in a can like the stuff for cleaning keyboards
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

oc1

To dry stuff I use a hot air gun with dual speed and temperature control (Makita).  Like a beefed up hair dryer.
-steve

Eddie Hernandez

Quote from: handi2 on April 25, 2018, 10:36:35 PM

Wow Handi!!!! your a freaking machine!!!! thats some serious turn around time!!! and very detailed service also. What does a parts washer look like? expensive? I soak all brass and internal parts in a jar filled with mineral spirits remove them and go at them with a toothbrush in the sink with soapy water.

What should i be doing with the bearings soak in vinegar? SG? and then apply reelx oil/grease? When it comes to dealing with bearings i have to admit  im a bit lost when servicing a reel. I  take a look at them check if they spin smoothly and thats it, and order a new one if i feel its not functioning correctly. In the short time I have been working on reels i had to order 1BB for a 704z (expensive!)

Fishy247

Quoteit can actually electroplate crap from other metals in the bath...giving you a purple Daiwa Sealine instead of dark grey..so i hear, lol

Hmm....that sounds kinda cool....

handi2

I have a triangular work system like you would have in a kitchen. Each station is 10 to 12 feet apart. I'll take some pictures.

Gulf Breeze, FL

handi2

The 4 pictures in the above post show where I sit, the table with the air hose hanging, the parts washer, and the mess. Want to see more mess??
Gulf Breeze, FL