Shimano Triton Mark 3 drag

Started by basto, January 22, 2018, 07:20:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

basto

Hi Guys

I am reading the schematic for the Shimano triton mark 3 and mark 4 star drag reels as the 2 belville washers are concave to concave ( parts 71 and 72)

I just need to know if everyone else sees it like that because all of the posts about the drag and even the reels I have opened have these belville washers convex to convex.

Help!!!

Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Tiddlerbasher

I think most duel belleviles setups are () by default - )( would give slightly different drag :-\

hurt locker

Hi Basto, I have worked on about 20 different Triton 300, 400 and the Mark series and all were convex to convex. Don't forget that the upper washer is pushing up against a thrust bearing and the outer edge of the washer fits inside the outer race and snugly against the inner race. Just my experience and opinion. Also the upper washer is thicker and was always on top.

Tiddlerbasher

I didn't know Tritons had a thrust bearing. What's the point? There is no side load on a bearing. A washer maybe :-\

basto

Quote from: hurt locker on January 22, 2018, 06:01:06 PM
Hi Basto, I have worked on about 20 different Triton 300, 400 and the Mark series and all were convex to convex. Don't forget that the upper washer is pushing up against a thrust bearing and the outer edge of the washer fits inside the outer race and snugly against the inner race. Just my experience and opinion. Also the upper washer is thicker and was always on top.

Hi Hurt Locker
On the parts list it says part 71 soft spring washer and part 72 hard spring washer. The belville washers are wider in diameter than the bearing, so how could the washer fit inside the outer race?
Basto

hurt locker

The thrust bearing sits above the belleville washers and is #70.

Hi Basto, You are correct about the top belleville being larger than the outside race on the thrust washer. Every Triton XHS models (20 plus) that i have worked on the bellevilles were always in the convex manner with the thrust washer riding the outside race and the spacer above riding the inside race. One thing is that the lower belleville in the convex manner exerts more pressure on the outside of the top metal drag plate. It would probably work either way, I have just always put them back together the way they came apart. I caught a one hundred pound Bluecat with a Triton 300XHS in 2011 and it didn't even take a deep breath during the fight. Great reels!

basto

Hurt Locker
The drag bearing is quite unique in that it has independent races on each side. You can turn them in opposite directions at the same time. Never seen a bearing like this before.

Basto

hurt locker

Basto.

Not having much experience with thrust washers, I would not be qualified to have an answer. But I do know that the Triton XHS series reels are unique from all other reels that I have worked on.

Several years ago I started a thread about them and the thrust bearing drag but there was not much interest and it died out. I think maybe that very few people have ever had the opportunity to open one up.

When I first worked on them I just assumed that the bearing worked like the regular bearings do and just centered the handle driveshaft. After working on 4 or 5 reels is when I realized that it centered the driveshaft but it also was putting pressure down on the drag system. Sometime it takes me awhile to catch on!!!!!!!!

Enjoy your Triton Mark 3

Tiddlerbasher

I may be slow doh! but I still don't understand why you would need a "bearing" in that position on a star drag reel - what does it achieve?

basto

It makes the drag run very smoothly. The TLD Star 15/30 and 20/40 also have a bearing in this position, but it is a conventional ball bearing unlike the one on the Mark 3
Basto

PacRat

If I remember correctly Shimano was very proud of their ball bearing drag back in the day. It is a very smooth drag and these are decent, well built reels. It has a one-piece alloy frame and the drag washers are the same size as a Penn 4/0. I did a service on my dad's Triton and I was so impressed I went out and bought one for myself. Nice reels!
-Mike

basto

Hi Mike
Yes and the TLD Star series that came after them (same size reel)  had drags the size of a 114H Senator with stainless main and pinion gears.
I just wish they had kept the all metal frame of the mark 3 and 4.
Both these series are my go to star drag reels for reef fishing.
cheers
Basto

basto

I know guys like to set up the drag on these reels in different ways and they have been successful in getting more drag from the reels and it is very interesting to read.
This the way I set mine up. I get 17 lbs max from this which I fish at around14lbs, enough for my reef fishing and it is smooth.
Replaced the stock washers with carbontex and put a teflon washer under the main gear.
cheers
Basto