General build on 6/0 114HL RANDY- - I Love the BALDY'S jigs!!!

Started by Carl L, January 23, 2018, 05:57:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carl L

Okay, I've got this nice (well, to me its pretty nice) auction find 6/0 114 HL.  It's already got a nice aluminum half-frame, solid base, alum stock spool etc. I know its big enough for my uses, but would like to beef it a bit. I've searched for a build on here, and although the carbon fibre one is cool; I just want tough... Will the alantani 5/0 handle work?(I've got big hands and really like the look of the bent handle) ((Hopefully handle is a hair longer than mine). Also would like part #s for double dog-if available, carbon drag stack (basically all the internal goodys and maybe a cool red drag star (bigger and/or bent tips for easy adjust), steel gear sleeve, jack plate steel pinion gear set etc.. the bearings are fine. Everything seems to be for 4/0 on this topic. Thanks for the advice guys !!

Carl L

thorhammer

In terms of guts search fir 9/0 builds.  Drags yokes sleeves etc all the same. I think Alan has handle blades for this sleeve. His 5/0 grip is great and at least an inch longer than stock. I probably have a dozen and Daron way more than that.  Tiburon makes TBar handles which are really sweet also but Alan's just feel beefier and are SS. 

John

Shark Hunter

As John said, the main gear and sleeve are the same as a 9/0. You have a lot of options.
Adam is making some really nice offset handles that are beefy stainless. I would go with one of those and a countersunk 5/0 grip from Alan.
I would go with a stock 5 stack. That will put out about 20 lbs.
You might already have one in there. I would check before ordering one.
Tom has some stainless sleeves and Lee is the maker of the dogs.
So that is four people you need to order parts from.
Let me see what I have. I might have everything in stock.
Stainless Sleeve, dogs and handle arm with 5/0 Grip is a good place to start.
Just realize, these parts alone are probably going to cost more than what you paid for that reel.
I think those stock gears will be fine and the star as well.
I keep my stars stock, but there are some ss ones here I believe, just stay away from aluminum.

Life is Good!

thorhammer

Agree. The 6/0 is kind of a forgotten puppy what with all the upgrades to jiggy's and 4/0 available, and the 9/0 having bigger capacity. The stock brass main is massive and I for one have never heard of one getting stripped on anything within design limits. I have buddys who fish them bone-stock, buttoned down with 100 lb braid for grouper with no issues, even using stock sleeves. Making 20 lbs of drag with that frame using 80lb should be no issue.

Bill B

Carl, as the boys have said above, upgrades will X2 the price of the reel in no time and the 6/0 is a beast to begin with.  That being said, add a handle and carbon fiber drags (if needed) and fish that reel as is.  The first thing to fail will be the brass gear sleeve, then swap it out for a stainless steel and you will be golden.  Oh do not forget to service the bearings with either grease or TSI oil.  Unless you want to go all in then have at it brother.  There is plenty of help here to get you past any issues that will come up.  Tight Lines and Cool Beans.......Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Army_of_One

All solid points as posted, but you can't toss a second dog in without modification of the side plate. It's not too difficult. I have an extra plate if you want to practice.   ;D

ETA: Daron has the 5/0 grip on the front left reel in his awe inspiring pic.
Another day in Paradise!

gstours

Yes for sure the 6/0 should do you well.  Follow the earlier posted answers,  If and when you can the double dog is a great low cost insurance pkg.   You can see a lot of how to diyorself info here in the penn tuts.   and or I would be glad to help you at minimal cost.  Its a very good reel with a good drag pkg, crank arm, and an extra dog.   Just add water!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 ;) ;)

thorhammer

Note, since you have an HL the stock handle is two hole for power. You have the option to drill out stock knob and add Alan's grip unless you just prefer to go aftermarket in full. Someone probably needs the stock one which would offset new blade cost.

Rivverrat

On these 6/0 reels how is the spool shaft held in place in the spool ?  Can it be driven or pressed out ? ... Jeff