Tutorial or tips for a Calcutta 50xt.

Started by Ripley, January 23, 2018, 01:31:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ripley

Hi all,
         Just pulled the trigger on a Calcutta 50xt.

I have never seen one in the flesh, but developed a sudden desire for the smallest round baitcaster available to fish freshwater bass here in Australia.

I have the Daiwa cvz 103, but the specs seem to suggest a significant downsize in weight, line capacity etc.

Now I just need tips to give it a grease and oil change when it arrives.

Help much appreciated.

Zimbass

Look up the Shimano service guide on their round reels.      http://fish.shimano.com/content/sac-fish/en/home/customer-service/reel-maintenance-instructions/_jcr_content/bodycontent/download_1/downloadFile/file.res/Maintenance%20Tips-%20Round%20Baitcasting%20Reels%20.pdf

Not much else to say for a grease and oil change. Would benefit from a carbon drag upgrade.

I personally prefer the larger version of these machines for bassing, but, know your Oz bass are on the smaller size.

Enjoy your new beauty.

Terry.

Never was so much owed by so many to so few.

Ripley

Thanks for the reply.

I wasn't sure about the drag material, and usually make my own, but I had heard rumours that the 50xt was particularly finicky because of its size.

We shall see :-)

Zimbass

Never was so much owed by so many to so few.

Ripley

It has arrived.

Verdict? I like it!  Significantly smaller than my millionaire 100 sized reels.

I have only taken off the sideplate, but it seems nice inside, and with care, within my abilities for the service + carbontex upgrade.

Could be a lovely reel for ultralight mangrove jack fishing.

Where's my screwdriver :-) ?