Penn 10/0 - gear sleeve shim and rebuild

Started by redsetta, July 10, 2011, 09:14:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsetta

G'day lads,
This one's been out of production for 20-odd years, but I still love it and thought I'd upload a few pics of a quick rebuild and gear sleeve shim (to fix some lateral slop in the main gear sleeve).
I've jumped straight into the strip down as the precursor steps are essentially the same for all Senators.
FYI: The 10/0 has a gear ratio of 2:1 and holds about 650yds of 80lb.
I've loaded this one with just over a kilometer of good-quality 37kg mono.
Righto, step one - pull the whole thing down and clean thoroughly. Always check the dog for wear.

(I'm waiting on some new external side rings for the 113H to the right - they're a mission to get hold of in NZ.)

Paint a thin coat of marine grease on all internal surfaces.
A coat of Cal's (or similar) to all drag washers, including the internal surface of the main gear, and re-stack.

Push the pin through the main gear and remove. Clean thoroughly and check for wear etc.
I tried a few shims, with an old, thinned-out Penn thrust washer seeming a likely candidate.

Prepare the bridge surface with a coat of grease.

Fit the washer and test the tolerances.

As it happened, the Teflon washer was too thick, so it was swapped out for a slimmer copper option (beware of materials that may be affected by corrosion).
Reinsert pin and tap into place. Be sure it sits nice and flush with the thread.
Now, it may be a little tight initially, but as long as it's not bound up, it'll free up nicely after a few turns of the handle following reassembly.

Might as well take the opportunity to upgrade the fiber washer that sits beneath the main gear.
I've got an HT-100 handy, but the ID is not quite right.

Use vise grips to get the alignment of both washers spot-on.

Then, with a round or semi-round file, work the carbon fiber till it matches the stock item.

A coat of Cal's and you're ready for reassembly...

Slide the gear and drag assembly back onto the gear shaft.

Now, as you may have noticed, this model has the drag access direct through the side plate, which I overlooked until all the drag washers fell out as I put it back in the frame.
Collect them up, put them aside and put 'em back in later.  ;D
Right, nearly there now. Grease and reinsert the eccentric, attach the lever and reposition the eccentric spring.

All the external chrome parts were salt corroded, so I soaked 'em for a couple of hours in a mix of watered-down vinegar (I'm not too specific, but find straight vinegar can be a bit harsh).

Dry everything thoroughly and give each piece a good buff with the rag while you're at it - most of the salt build-up will rub right off.
Use a light wire brush for any particularly bad corrosion - go easy, though (scratches won't heal!).
I usually spray a tiny bit of WD-40 into the post threads, drain and grease prior to reassembly.
It's all pretty standard stuff from here on, so I won't go over it all again.
Basically, reassemble as per usual - taking account of all the technical wizardry to be found on Alan's site.
Here's the finished product.

For a bit of perspective, here's the beast next to a couple of 113s - it's a total bruiser.

Hope this is of some value.
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Alto Mare

Very nice job Redsetta. I just wanted ro mention that I do not file the carbon washer for under the gear anymore, part #4-116, what I do now is  replace the fiber washer for under the main gear with the same size washer that I use in the gear, HT100's of course. I acctually do it to all of my Senators, I believe that having that washer a little bigger than the bottom part of the sleeve will actually help keep the dog aligned. Up to now I haven't noticed any issues with it, and it makes it easy on everyone to use the same size washers when servicing the reel. The 10/0 is one of my favorite Senator, it might look small next to the 16/0 Senator, but it has lots of gutts, it's just second from the top of the Senator line ( inner parts wise). Thanks for sharing, take care, Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Taily

G'day Justin, great post! I've got a spare set of external 113H rings if you're still looking - in pretty good nick they were off a near new 113H I converted to a JV sideplates/Tibby half frame conversion), and only over on the west island about 200km north of Sydney if you'd cover the postage to you you can have 'em. Anything else you need - I do have a few spares for the 113H's.

Dave
Nunc est bibendum....

Alto Mare

Hey Taily, I'm still a million dollar short of being a millionaire, could you spare one? ;D
That's very nice of you Dave. I'm noticing that more members are helping with parts lately "a real family".
What are you doing to us Alan, it's contagious!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

justin, can you send me a pm with your address?  i'd like to send you a wrench!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

Great job Justin.

@ Sal, I believe Justin filed out the ID of the drag washer so that the washer would fit over the gear sleeve.

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Yes I know Bryan, I think that I'm actually the one that started doing that. I've now been using the same size washer that I use in the drag stack for under the main gear with no problems.

redsetta

Thanks Alan - have sent you a PM. Though, as I mentioned, it's arguable whether my rudimentary effort above deserves such a reward!
But if you must...  ;D ;D
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

wallacewt

Taily

Quote from: Alto Mare on July 10, 2011, 11:18:59 AM
Hey Taily, I'm still a million dollar short of being a millionaire, could you spare one? ;D
That's very nice of you Dave. I'm noticing that more members are helping with parts lately "a real family".

Hey, I just wish I could call myself a millionaire!  ;D
Nunc est bibendum....

Alto Mare

Quote from: Taily on July 11, 2011, 04:51:32 AM
Quote from: Alto Mare on July 10, 2011, 11:18:59 AM

Hey, I just wish I could call myself a millionaire!  ;D
Why not....it's free! ;D