Shimano TSMIV - advice please

Started by Capt. Brant, January 29, 2018, 04:33:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt. Brant

I have been rebuilding these reels and replacing existing drag washers with carbon fiber.  They have been doing great except for a couple of problems that take place during heavy use.  The clutch dog will occasionally disengage allowing the reel hand to free spin backwards.  I can wiggle the handle a bit and it catches again and works fine, but not a good feeling.  Second is on some reels the drag will loosen itself when angler winds against the drag.

I am seeking advice as to why you think this is happening in hopes of improving my rebuild efforts.

Thank you --
Capt. Brant McMullan
Ocean Isle Beach, NC 

doradoben

You may want to closely inspect the anti-reverse ratchet and tip of the dog for wear, also see if the small coil spring that is attached to the dog is stretched.
Below are links to a TSM tutorial and one for TLD Star. They are very similar except gear ratio and TSM has one more spool bearing on the non-handle side.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=6.0

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=17.0

alantani

the contact points between the dog and the anti-reverse ratchet gear may be burred, dented or otherwise deformed.  filing down and truing up the surfaces to that the are flat might do the trick.  also, decreasing any play or wobble might help.  for the star problem the metal drag washers might be out of order or the star might be bottoming out and coming in contact with the frame.  rearranging the washers and/or adding shim washers to space out the star might do the trick.  can you keep us posted?  thanks!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Capt. Brant

Thanks guys -- regarding the 4 metal "spacer" washers that ride below the star and above the last drag plate -- Good chance I don't have them right.  They are concave, but how do they go?  I've looked at a schematic but I can't make it out.  And yes, good chance the star could be bottomed out as we are using the reels to their max for sure.  If I add a washer to push the star out more, would you recommend just another one of the concave spacer washer like are all ready in place?  Advice appreciated.

thorhammer

Ok, Brant I'm gonna dime on you ...

Guys, Brant and his family are some of the most well-known and successful fisherman in NC...

Any advice you get to straighten out these reels will need a swordfishing report in return!

alantani

the stack is oriented "()()".  there are also flat washers that go on either side of the bearing, but those should be obvious. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Capt. Brant

Perfect Alan Tani -- I don't know you personally but do appreciate you and this forum as it has helped me many times.  As for the fishing, it is Bluefin Tuna time.  Oregon Inlet Bluefin bite is just starting and should be on through February.  I will be up there for the month.  Check us out on Facebook- look up Ocean Isle Fishing Center.  Thanks again Alan.