PENN LINE PAWLS

Started by Ken_D, July 11, 2011, 04:26:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken_D

Hi, folks....I don't have a 340/345 line pawl here to do the measure, but I do know that there's a height difference between the 330 and the 340/345.  Unsure just why Penn could not make them common, but oh well.

What will happen here: the local shops will put the 340 pawl in the 330. This will sometimes work with no load, but immediately the reel is asked to bring in a fish, the reel fails.

My question: what is the measurement in inches, not millimeters, of the 340/345 line pawl? I know that the 330 pawl is usually 0.375" from the base to the top of the 'crescents'.

They are so close in height, that unless you see hundreds, it's very hard to tell them apart, solo. Beside each others, it would be easy !   Thanks,  KD.

alantani

ken, i ordered a sheet of teflon from mcmaster.com that was 0.0010 inches thick.  then i use a leather hole punch to make teflon discs.  i use these discs to shim the pawls in all of the reels so that the pawls don't jump the track of the worm and get jammed up.  send me a pm with your address and i can send you a couple of dozen, or just a few square inches of the sheet it you already have a leather hole puncher.  they work great!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Ken_D

Thanks a tonne, Alan....will do. Best, KD.

redsetta

Great idea, Alan - I've been doing the same, but with tiny copper rounds (and generally only on pawls that sat particularly low in the line guide carriage). Teflon would be a better option - will endeavor to track down a sheet!
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

alantani

i will throw a piece in with your wrench!

redsetta

As ever, thank you Alan.
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

alantani

i didn't get to the post office in time.  they closed on me so i'll have to get it out tomorrow morning.  i had a moment and punched out a dozen teflon dots for you to use.  one should do the trick.  alan