Daiwa Tournament SS series Braid??

Started by Newell Nut, January 31, 2018, 04:42:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newell Nut

I have a couple of the 700s and was looking at them on the Daiwa site and noticed the line capacity only listed mono. Other reels have mono and braid listed. Is this reel not designed for braid?

SoCalAngler

Quote from: Newell Nut on January 31, 2018, 04:42:55 PM
I have a couple of the 700s and was looking at them on the Daiwa site and noticed the line capacity only listed mono. Other reels have mono and braid listed. Is this reel not designed for braid?
braided line should be fine on that real. The tournament series was developed before Spectre was really in use so most likely they never added the Spectre length measurements to the original measurement

philaroman

it's an old design that pre-dates braid popularity & keeps getting remade w/ few minor changes, by popular demand -- I'd guess Daiwa never got around to updating the specs...

actually, IMO, it's one of the BEST tiny UL spinners for braid (esp., for distance) -- can't think of any other (smaller than Shimano 1000-size) that has a 6-stack drag, tall spool & worm-gear oscillation!!!   ...too bad it's an old, small, simple line-roller -- just clean/lube it religiously

Newell Nut

Thanks, they are saltwater reels but I used mine for crappie fishing and they worked great and still work great after about 25 years.

philaroman

as I recall, there's actually a rare old JDM suped-up version (gold-colored SS 600?): big roller, more BB's, internal bail trip, machined handle

Scattergun2570

Quote from: philaroman on January 31, 2018, 05:59:29 PM
it's an old design that pre-dates braid popularity & keeps getting remade w/ few minor changes, by popular demand -- I'd guess Daiwa never got around to updating the specs...

actually, IMO, it's one of the BEST tiny UL spinners for braid (esp., for distance) -- can't think of any other (smaller than Shimano 1000-size) that has a 6-stack drag, tall spool & worm-gear oscillation!!!   ...too bad it's an old, small, simple line-roller -- just clean/lube it religiously

Are the newer ones as good as the older ones made in Japan?

philaroman

some say Japanese workmanship/QC makes the older ones better; some say, after decades of production, minor tweaks to the design make the later (Thai?) versions better

generally, I really like Japanese (esp., JDM), but w/ used SS700 I'd just worry about the best condition/price...  actually, Thai might win out if there's a parts availability advantage