Vintage Penn Quiz #2

Started by Maxed Out, January 31, 2018, 10:52:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxed Out

The Penn logo on first few years of the 9/0 senator was generic and simply reads "senator" with nothing to equate the size of the reel to.

My question is.....was that exact generic "senator" logo ever used on any other senators ??

Ted

P.S. perhaps Sid could post a picture of the early 9/0 logo.....(Thanks in advance Sid)
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

1badf350

Ted are you talking about this logo?
-Chris
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Maxed Out

Yes Chris, that's the logo.....notice no size of reel in the logo

1badf350

I think 54Bullseye may have a similar one on his 12/0 but i think it does say 12/0 under Senator.
Paging John Taylor. John Taylor to the white courtesy phone.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

54bullseye

I have two 9/0s they have no reel size the 12/0 does   John Taylor

Maxed Out

Hi John, thanks for the pics...

.....here is the logo on my mystery reel......nope it isn't a 9/0

54bullseye

Well I am going to say I think it's a big reel looks like a lot of space on sides of logo compared to mine. 
John Taylor

Maxed Out

I compared it with my early logo 9/0 and it is same exact logo and same size logo as the early 9/0

Deepennz

Hi Ted,

That Senator logo was used up to 1938 - in 1938 Penn only made 6/0's 9/0's, 10/0's and 12's.
The 12/0 had it's own logo so that leaves either the 6/0 or 10/0.
So - my guess - 1938 10/0?

Martin

Tightlines667

My guess would be a first-run 1938 10/0, or the as yet, never found unmarked/first-run, 1937 12/0.

Photos of my first gen14/0, 12/0, and first gen 9/0 logos are attached.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

broadway

Hey John, Which 1937 undiscovered 12/0? I believe there are late '37 12/0's out there but i may be wrong... I think I actually have one.
Need more info on this please.
Thanks
Dom

Shark Hunter

I can't answer, because I know from an inside source. ;)
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

Quote from: broadway on February 01, 2018, 02:59:09 AM
Hey John, Which 1937 undiscovered 12/0? I believe there are late '37 12/0's out there but i may be wrong... I think I actually have one.
Need more info on this please.
Thanks
Dom

I misspoke, just went by a quick look at the table in Mike's second book (see attached photo).  

He has a photo of a first year (ca. 1937) 12/0 in the book itself.  Identified by the same logo as 1938, but no front harness lugs, and the early catlin resin pear shaped handle.

I reasoned that it might be possible that the first batch of 12/0s in 1937, or the first run of 10/0s in 1938 were stamped with the generic Senator plug from the 1937 9/0, maybe before the plug was available.  This seems to be more likely with the introduction of the 10/0 since no new reel mold was needed for this model, but a new stamp keeping with that year's theme of adding the ought designation was desirable.  Maybe they made a few 10/0s before the stamp was available?  I guess that was my reasoning for the quick guesses.

John
Hope springs eternal

Maxed Out

What if I told you it is a modern day senator ??

Tightlines667

Quote from: Maxed Out on February 01, 2018, 03:18:04 AM

What if I told you it is a modern day senator ??

I would say that is alot more likely then all of my unsubstantiated musings...lol ;D
Hope springs eternal