LATEST 330 gt2 PENN REELS

Started by Ken_D, July 11, 2011, 04:33:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken_D

Hi, Folks.... re the above. Wow. Who drilled the hole in the driveshaft to fit the bridge ???  There's now as much freeplay in a brand-new GT2, as there is in a 10 year old USA 330 !!!

In a "pinch", I used an Abu driveshaft shim under the driveshaft to bring the freeplay down. (One of the thin shims from an older Abu, either P/N 3904, or 3915, depending on how stupid the clearance is.

I have no knowledge, or tools, to rectify this issue, and am wondering how you folks have dealt with this.
Thanks. Ken.  PS: if this topic has already been discussed, I can't find it. kd.

alantani

you're talking about up and down play in the gear sleeve, right?  i have an assortment of washers from mcmaster.com and i use those to shim the gear sleeve. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Ken_D

Hi, Alan, yes. The up/down clearance. By the time the play reaches the handle, it's intensified. Looks like I'm on the right track then. 

Sidebar: As at year 2009, when I requested parts, McMaster-Carr refused to do business with me, as I'm Canadian.  No reason was given, except to say they don't do business w/Canada.  If they have changed, great.

alantani

probably not.  i have an account, though.  let me know what you need and i can order it, then ship it to you. 

seaeagle2

Quote from: Ken_D on July 11, 2011, 07:31:40 PM

Sidebar: As at year 2009, when I requested parts, McMaster-Carr refused to do business with me, as I'm Canadian.  No reason was given, except to say they don't do business w/Canada.  If they have changed, great.
Probably cause it can be a real headache to ship stuff to Canada.  During the Canada Post strike, I Fed Ex'ed my Canadian Income tax forms  ( Me and my  brother rent out a cabin on a piece of property), and it was amazing the declarations, etc, required for a government form.....
"One life, don't blow it" Kona Brewing
\"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\'d be a shortage of fishing poles\" Doug Larson

alantani

i punched out a couple of dozen dots and they're in the mail box right now. 

Irish Jigger

It's probably Chinese made. Maybe the retaining pin groove in the Bridge Spindle is too wide,anyway it shows lack of quality control. If its a brand new reel as you say then return it and look for a used USA made one. My experience of Chinese Penns is that the tolerances are more relaxed than  when they were made in the USA.

alantani

that many not apply to all reel.  i've found the chinese jigmasters to actually be of better quality......   :-\