Removing Drag Cover plate from 50VSW

Started by dalematlock, July 14, 2011, 12:26:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dalematlock

Ok...so I am sooooo frustrated right now I'm not sure what to do....

I have read through the 50VSX thread, the 70VW thread and it's made out to sound like that drag cover plate should just come off easy peasy...I have removed the pinion screw and washer, I have lifted the locking pin by rotating the tab 90-180 degrees....

I have had my wife hold the spool while I gently tap the wrench in the counter clockwise(the unscrew position), I have read a thread where they say that is backwards and try and rotate in clockwise direction...regardless of what I try, I can NOT get that dang thing to budge.

I could really use some advice because I am just ticked off right now and so is my wife because neither one of us can figure it out.

Thanks,

Dale

kamuwela

you can try pulling the pin a little more with a needle nose and see if it come's out. the only thing holding it back is that pin. ive had to cut off frozen one's before.

alantani

does it look like this?  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=232.0

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

dalematlock

Yes, my reel looks like that. But the only difference is I removed that middle screw (pinion screw) and the washer and I rotated that tab (locking pin) 90 degrees. I guess I will have to try and have my wife hold that pin up or wedge something in there to hold it up higher and then attempt to unscrew the cover plate. And just to make sure I am unscrewing it in the direction as shown on the plate correct? I mean I have been trying it that way, but also read in the 50VSX thread where it said to turn it clockwise. Now righty tighty sounded odd to me, but that is what the tutorial said and i think I read somewhere else that apparently on the Shimano TLD 20 the directions to unscrew are backwards.

So if the only thing hold it back is that stinking locking pin I will just try and lift it higher and attempt to unscrew it in the direction indicated.

kamuwela

yes you are right shimano has reverse threads. penn is counter clock wise to remove.

Dominick

Dale:  I had a problem getting mine off also, but I removed the tab on the pin by mistake.  I was able to lift the pin and grasp it with an alligator clip.  That held it out far enough to turn the cover.  As a matter of fact I used a rubber jar mat to grasp the serrated edge and turned it by hand.  You don't really need the tool.  It does turn off counter clock wise.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

dalematlock

Hey guys,

I can't thank you enough for the help. I will prolly tackle this tonight or tomorrow when I get off work.

And Alan, thank you so much for calling me today to help me out. Really caught me by surprise, but was great to meet you over the phone and chat with ya.

You all are great.

-Dale

alantani

well, thanks, but i'll still feel better if you get this cover off!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dominick

dale let me know if you end up breaking the cover.  I have an extra.  It's yours so don't be afraid to put some muscle into it.  Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

dalematlock

Alright, thanks a ton Dominick.

I've been busy with work these last couple of days, so I am prolly gonna give it a go tonight and hopefully that stubborn thing will come off.

dalematlock

Well,

1 Hammer, 1 Pair of forceps, electrical tape, and 1 Wife later.....I finally got that blasted thing off!!!!  ;D

And I am sure glad I did because it was all wet and I could see all the granular salt/sand on the inside....got everything cleaned off, regreased, bearings taken apart and regreased and put back together and she sounds and feels like a million bucks.

The drag plate cover is pretty well marred up now, but I made sure that when I put it on it was hand tight with a slight turn with the wrench.

But at least I know now that my reel has been gone through with a fine tooth comb and should be good to go.

Lessons learned: Make sure I'm paying attention to my rod spike next time to my reel doesn't end up in the surf again...ugh!!

You guys have been awesome and I just can't thank you all enough for the help on this.

Cheers,

Dale

Dominick

Good for you Dale.  Oh! by the way, nothing feels as good as a million bucks, except maybe few million bucks ;D.  Dominick

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D