113H accurate narrow frame and spool problem

Started by tbucketford429460, July 14, 2011, 10:57:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbucketford429460

Okay got my spool from Alto Mare (thanks) and allready had the narrow accurate frame so I put it together and we got a problem >:(
even with the spool tension knob tighten down i still have a more play in the spools side to side movement anyone got any ideas. I got a trip comming up in mid Aug. and I really want to take this reel.

thanks
wade

Bryan Young

How much play do you have?  You may need to shim the bearing, but often enough, the spool knob can be cranked down even further.

If you still need to shim, open the reel and measure the OD of your bearings (both sides, but should be the same)  Order from McMaster 18-8 Stainless Steel Shaft and Bearing Shims.  Get the bearing shims and match the OD of the bearing with the OD of the shim.  Upon arrival, place shim between the cup and the bearing, and depending on how the spools sits, you may want to shim both sides or one.

Another option is  wider bearing, but more costly.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

tbucketford429460

I tried to pull the bearing from the tension knob but it was a diaster no need to order a new bearing. how do you get them out of the tension knob.

thanks
wade

Alto Mare

You will need lots of force and sometimes that doesn't even work. You have a couple of other options if you can't get that bearing out to shim it as Bryan suggested. Option 1, you could get the accurate spool, although I've customized many reels combining parts from accurate, tiburon and jvariance and always worked out for me. Option 2, I could send you the matching frame to that spool for $25, that's the best I could do,  and option 3, just get yourself new bearings. This is only if you can't make it work with what you have now. Good luck! Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.