Word of caution for Sealine 300H/350H silver aluminum frames...

Started by Porthos, February 18, 2018, 11:28:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Porthos

...the top halves are susceptible to bending inwards relatively easily.

Bought a lugged 300H that was tagged as a "parts" reel from the big auction site. Upon receipt, discovered that one of the top screws for securing the lugs was stripped AND the spool was rubbing against the inner frame rims. When checking how the plates sat on the frame, in was very apparent that frame tops were both bent inwards about 0.5+ mm...enough to contact the spool and stop all free spin. The only way that I could see this happening was if both plates were off, the spool was out, and force was applied inwards on both frame tops.  ::) What were they thinking??? ::)

Anyway, it was apparent that bending both tops outwards was the fix to restore free spin. Before clamping the frame to the vise, I decided to see if I could just do it by hand. To my surprise, it worked! I was not expecting the aluminum to be soft enough to allow that level of ease. The spool free spin was restored to the reassembled reel with less than 2 mins of free-hand force applied.

YMMV...

day0ne

I had a 400H that had been dropped. One side was bent in. Easy to bend back. One reason I avoid the silver frame Sealine's.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter