over-greasing a reel.

Started by alantani, February 18, 2018, 11:37:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

bimini's are intimidating for many, but i can tie one faster than i can splice a hollow core loop. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

mike1010

Quote from: alantani on February 19, 2018, 07:14:33 AM
bimini's are intimidating for many, but i can tie one faster than i can splice a hollow core loop. 

I've posted this before, but it really works: 

I use only solid braid, but extend the life of what's on a partially spooled reel by "splicing" on another piece with back-to-back  biminis and a loop-to-loop connection, five or six times through.  The connection is compact and strong.

Keta

Quote from: alantani on February 19, 2018, 07:14:33 AM

They are easy with Spectra, I do not like them for mono.

Tie a figure 8 knot 3'-4' from the end of your solid then slip it into the hollow,  Serve below the knot and it will not slip out.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Gobi King

Can I do the bimini > bimini with leader core > Braid also?
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Midway Tommy

Quote from: alantani on February 18, 2018, 11:37:10 PM
finally started working on a gorgeous custom penn 16 that was sent in months ago.  funny, it looks like the frame is on backwards!

when i opened it up, there was grease everywhere!  it looks like someone went in with a three inch paint brush and started painting the inside with grease.  it's gonna take a while to clean out.  there is such a thing as too much of a good thing!  i already had cleaned off the spool before taking pictures.  you would have loved that one!

in business, there was a saying that i remembered.  "centralize all that is de-centralized, and de-centralize all that is centralized, and you will be hailed as a genius."  perhaps the same holds true with us.  grease all that is dry, clean off all that is greased, and you will also be hailed as a genius!  personally, i like a light coat.  i have noted over the years that i have started to apply thinner and thinner coats of grease as i have progressed.  

Maybe Captain Butch had possession of it at some point.  ;D

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Rivverrat

Quote from: Gobi King on February 19, 2018, 05:01:59 PM

Do you mean lead core or hollow core. If hollow yes you can. I've not used lead core line before... Jeff

Keta

I have some JB lead core, I strip the lead out of 3'-4 of it and splice it to non lead hollow core.  I have 20' of lead core on one of my live bait reels to help take the bait down.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Gobi King

Quote from: Rivverrat on February 19, 2018, 06:50:41 PM
Quote from: Gobi King on February 19, 2018, 05:01:59 PM

Do you mean lead core or hollow core. If hollow yes you can. I've not used lead core line before... Jeff

Lead Core Sir, we use it a lot in the Great Lakes, copper line, wire and lead core is very popular.
Fichigan

Gobi King

Quote from: Keta on February 19, 2018, 07:13:53 PM
I have some JB lead core, I strip the lead out of 3'-4 of it and splice it to non lead hollow core.  I have 20' of lead core on one of my live bait reels to help take the bait down.

Gotcha, Lead Core shell spliced into  hollow core braid.
I don't want to veer the thread off topic, I will open a new thread for lead core connections to main line. Thanks!
Fichigan

alantani

Ron Jones

Alan, I hate to question the BOSS, but I think that you could splice hollow to solid in the same manner you make the loop and the union would be the same strength of the loop.
Just sayin.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

alantani

that's never a problem!   ;D

are you talking about a serve?  that would be solid running 5 feet inside the hollow with the knot or serve at the end of the hollow. 

Keta

Quote from: alantani on February 19, 2018, 11:29:13 PM
that's never a problem!   ;D

are you talking about a serve?  that would be solid running 5 feet inside the hollow with the knot or serve at the end of the hollow. 

Jerry does it that way, run the solid into the hollow then tie a knot where the solid enters the hollow.  I serve like normal then pull the knot to the serving.

Mark Twain

alantani

never knew you could do that!  so a knot to keep the solid braid from slipping past the serve.  what kind of knot?

Keta

Quote from: alantani on February 20, 2018, 12:00:33 AM
never knew you could do that!  so a knot to keep the solid braid from slipping past the serve.  what kind of knot?

Jerry just uses a overhand knot.  Joe was asking about splicing loops, I will have some needles and Spectra at the SSS we can play with until Roy brings his special sauce.

Mark Twain