Kmart 303

Started by sharkman, February 20, 2018, 03:11:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharkman

My dad gave me this reel many years ago before passing away. He was never able to fish. So I have decided to bring it off the shelf and fish it in his memory. Trying to find out a little more information on reel like line specs and drag.  The reel is labeled Kmart 303. After doing some research I have found out the reel is made by Olympic, but other than that there is very little information available.

MUSKYNUT

I purchased 2 of these reels from Kmart in the 1970's for muskie trolling.  Caught a lot of muskies on them and found them to be very reliable reels. However, you are misinformed that they were made by Olympic.  They were made by 'Ocean Side' in Japan (not to be confused with Ocean City).  You can find them on ebay being sold as Kmart 303 or Ocean Side 303.  They were made in both black and red.  I would advise you to give them a good cleaning and possibly consider changing the leather drag to carbon fiber.  I have serviced mine several times over the years and I clean the drag washers and re-lube them very lightly.  I do have parts lists for them in my files, but I would not know how to get parts since they are so old and the company no longer exists.  They are very durable reels and I can't remember ever seeing any of them online that were listed as non functional or "parts only".  I consider them real workhorses that will never wear out if maintained and serviced regularly.  They sold for about $15-16 in the seventies.  Ocean Side and Kmart also made another fine reel at that time labeled as the model 107.  It is a round version with stainless steel trim to protect the plastic side plates from impacts.

philaroman

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=7808.msg310867#msg310867

pretty sure the round 107/207 were Penn clones made by Olympic & sold under many names

not sure about the teardrop 303 -- have one; would like to know more, as well:
is it Olympic?  is it a Penn-clone; which one? is it same as Immec 22-P?
was Immec just another re-branded name, or an actual Japanese OEM separate from Olympic?

happyhooker

Welcome, MUSKYNUT, from Minnesota.  These look like interesting reels.

Frank

Dominick

Welcome Muskynut, since the parts are not available you should consider buying another off ebay so that you can have a parts reel.  Also that is good advice to change the drags.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

williewiskers

Quote from: philaroman on February 27, 2019, 04:17:09 PM
https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=7808.msg310867#msg310867

pretty sure the round 107/207 were Penn clones made by Olympic & sold under many names

not sure about the teardrop 303 -- have one; would like to know more, as well:
is it Olympic?  is it a Penn-clone; which one? is it same as Immec 22-P?
was Immec just another re-branded name, or an actual Japanese OEM separate from Olympic?

I have the 107, cool little reel. Its red and looks exactly like a miniature Senator. Its drag system can produce well over 10# with the original drags in good shape, but the screws attaching the reel stand begin showing deformation after 4# line tension. I think i put 14# Cajun red mono on mine cause it matched and I had it - and it held quite a lot. Dont get me wrong, it HELD more line tension, but you could see the frame of the reel contorting HEAVILY.

FLNJBUM

Anyone know where I could get a spool tensioning know for this reel? I have one and that is all it is missing
I can explain it to you,  but i cant understand it for you