figure this out 2 part quiz.

Started by kamuwela, July 15, 2011, 06:01:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kamuwela

recently i serviced a bunch of tiagra 80's for a customer. well during a recent tournament he hook's up  to a decent size marlin. the fish run's the spool down almost to the knot. after the second run,while bringing the fish back the reel goes into free spool. they throw the reel into full drag but still no drag. next thing they thumb the spool release the lever and crank down on the preset, reset the lever and still no drag. now the brain buster what would your first guess be? i will post the second brain buster part of this later.

JGB

mid fight failure without moving the drag lever

sheared cross pin on the drag disk
Failed cam pins
spectra slipping on the spool

Jim N.

Bryan Young

Kamu and I were on the phone for an hour or so talking through it, and still couldn't figure it out.

Jim, I can eliminate one on your list.  Mono only reels. :)
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

sudden failure in the middle of a fight?  first guess, stripped preset knob. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

kamuwela

sorry alto the marlin lost. here in hawaii we use the reel to hold the line and we hand line the fish in. they wound up the line by hand while retriveing the fish. the cross pins hold the belleville's and the drag's in place. none broken there jim.

Dominick

Cheese, I always hated pop quizzes.  No idea.  Best guess, broken pressure plate spring.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

Glad they got that fish Kamu. Although I think that it's going to be someting really simple, I'm going to guess that it's related with the set plates area. It could  be the set plates ,the springs, the dogs and the anti reverse  ratchet. :-\
You didn't mention if Alan was right, was he?
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

kamuwela

no sorry alan was wrong too, but close. here's the second part. i go to my customer's house and he say's the drag work's fine now. i remove the left cover and check the drag and it's all good on that side. i replace the left plate and check the drag tension. the drag is then set at 30 lbs. i then remove the messed up line and reload the reel. half way thru the reel goes into complete free spool. ok class till next time think right side plate. ;D

alantani

JGB

Tough one. I did have an issue where the drag would let off during retrieve. In this case it was caused by the pinion jamming the right side plate bearing and putting enough torque to literally back off the drag preset from the inside. The symptom was the drag would have to be reset yet everything seemed to operate properly. In that case it was a bad bearing. Maybe it has something to do with the piston assembly in the 80W. Supposedly it compensates for temperature rise during long runs. Do these have the piston assembly? The current Tiagra 80AW does.
BTW this is a Push bar drag issue only.

Jim N.

kamuwela

alright jim you win a free flight to hawaii, next time alan come's here he will bring you along. ::) it did turn out to be the bearing. keep in mind it cranked as smooth as butter.  i noticed a differnt sound while cranking slow, at the same time i noticed the pre set knob backing off. the bearing was slightly stuck to the shaft. now last question. since the bearing is not attached to the pre set knob in anyway how did it back off? i checked the main gear for sign's of contact with the bearing,  i only saw my thumb print on the gear where i touched it. i also checked the clearance at max drag and set at full, lots of clearnce.

alantani

did the preset knob back out or did it slip one set of threads like the avets.  are the threads inside the preset knob damaged at all?

kamuwela

the preset isn't threded but it did back out the preset.  last hint the only thing that was wrong was the bearing. now last question how did it back out?

JGB

Here is what I found in the case I experienced. The bearing pushes against a plate that is threaded into the cam assembly. It has a slot in the top that engages the preset knob.Threading this part in or out adjusts the preset position of the drag. You would think the push plate would have a guide pin so it does not turn. In this case it must turn as the preset adjustment is in between the bearing and the cam.  It seems the design uses the cam pressure and fine pitch threads and the preset detents to keep the preset settings in place.

simple as mud :P but not obvious.

Jim N.