YES! found a nice 270

Started by basto, February 23, 2018, 03:54:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

basto

Hi guys
Found a nice 270 on Gumtree. As I have said before, most of the good vintage stuff seems to be in West Australia over here.

I like that the line roller rolls on the 270, not on my 331 though?
I like the low gear ratio on the 270 for the reel`size.
I cleaned all the grease off the resitex? drag washers and under spool washer because I was told they work best dry.
I really like the aesthetics of this reel. It just oozes class to me.
I was very lucky to find it and it has been well cared for.
cheers
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Bruce

Wow, a beauty  ,  love that two tone green .

congrats  Buzz
Buzz

Ruffy

Nice score Basto!
I agree,a lot of the old Penns etc are all over in WA. I wonder why that is? DAMs are few and far between anywhere in Australia, you must have been on that one quick though as I didn't even see it pop up! Every DAM I have seen on gumtree/ebay has been in all sorts of trouble except for a NOS 110 currently on ebay. The owner is asking $500, crazy money!

Is the 270 going to be fished?

Cheers,
Andrew

David Hall

That one looks like it just got pulled out of the box!  What a beauty.

basto

Thanks for the compliments guys.Yes , they are an attractive reel I think.
Ruffy, A bit shy of fishing this one, but if I can find another, I would like to fish it.
Greg

Midway Tommy

That's a beauty, Greg! It looks almost new. They're tough to come by in that condition. Congrats!
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

Gorgeous Super, Greg!

Nice find!

You will likely need to break it down and remove any old greases, lube with modern lubes, etc.  it just gets dried out after so many decades of non use.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Rivverrat

I've had little trouble finding these in very good condition. Of the 20 or so that I have 5 look like they've never been fished. The rest of them appear to have had very little use. Maybe I was just lucky I dont know. Some dont seem to be impressed with these reels. Which is perfectly fine with me.   This one Basto has is deffinantly a keeper.

Basto, if you clean up the line roller well & polish & the assembly is correct regarding the lock washers these carbide by Quick are some of the best I've experienced once you get them rolling...

basto

Quote from: Rivverrat on February 23, 2018, 05:32:59 AM
I've had little trouble finding these in very good condition. Of the 20 or so that I have 5 look like they've never been fished. The rest of them appear to have had very little use. Maybe I was just lucky I dont know. Some dont seem to be impressed with these reels. Which is perfectly fine with me.   This one Basto has is deffinantly a keeper.

Basto, if you clean up the line roller well & polish & the assembly is correct regarding the lock washers these carbide by Quick are some of the best I've experienced once you get them rolling...

Are you referring to the 270 line roller? I don`t have a problem with it, but I had a 220 years ago and could not get the roller to roll on it and also have a 331 that I can`t get rolling. I will take the 331 apart again and see if I can have some success.
Greg

basto

Quote from: foakes on February 23, 2018, 05:09:54 AM
Gorgeous Super, Greg!

Nice find!

You will likely need to break it down and remove any old greases, lube with modern lubes, etc.  it just gets dried out after so many decades of non use.

Best,

Fred

Hi Fred
You know the grease in this reel is still quite soft with no crusty bits. Looks like it has a mixture of grease and oil used on different parts all over the reel.
The spool looks like it had been coated with a type of varnish when I took the line off. No corrosion on the spool, but a lot of line marks where the line has buried into the (varnish).
This reel looks like it had been in current use, but very well cared for.
cheers
Greg

Rivverrat

Quote from: basto on February 23, 2018, 06:13:06 AM
Quote from: Rivverrat on February 23, 2018, 05:32:59 AM

Are you referring to the 270 line roller? I don`t have a problem with it, but I had a 220 years ago and could not get the roller to roll on it and also have a 331 that I can`t get rolling. I will take the 331 apart again and see if I can have some success.
Greg

I was reffering to your 331... Jeff

STRIPER LOU

Nicest one I've ever seen. Great score!

.........Lou

Alto Mare

Nice score Greg!
I'm new to these, but already worked on quite a few and studied them really closely.
I have about 6 of them in very good shape, but yours is in mint condition. If that reel was used more than a couple of times, I would be surprised.
These are great reels, I recently purchased some parts to build a very hard to get 275, basically the same reel having  2 speed.
I got lucky finding what I needed, but it wasn't easy.
A friend here will be getting that reel, of course he doesn't know it :).

Enjoy it Greg, it is a beauty.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mo65

Yes sir...that's a dandy! Very nice find. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Midway Tommy

Greg,

Remove the bail on the 331, & 220 if you still have it, and soak them in 50/50 vinegar/water mix over night. Then take padded pliers and turn the roller & it should come loose. If that won't release it soak it in straight vinegar and try it again. The vinegar will eat the corrosion away and allow it to be removed.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)