How it’s made in Taiwan

Started by Bryan Young, March 02, 2018, 01:09:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

exp2000

Carl L

redsetta

That was fascinating, thanks Bryan!
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Gfish

Nice! Thanks BY. I've been wondering about the anodizing process for awhile now.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

bhale1

Thanks Bryan...
That was cool to watch! I wonder if they recycle all the aluminum that's machined away? Just wondering....
Maybe Tom (CC) knows.
Brett

festus

Very interesting, especially liked to see the hand assembly of the gears near the end of the video.

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Shark Hunter

Okuma is Top Notch.
I know Alan uses them, so they have to be. ;)
Life is Good!

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

philaroman

COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!

...but that's high-end Taiwanese -- I'd be curious to see budget Chinese shooting through a production line, like poop through a goose  ...not criticizing, mind you -- I rather like cherry-pickin' the best price/value among Chinese Okuma

Tiddlerbasher

I'd luv one of those cnc machines to 'play with' :)

Donnyboat

Bryan tanks for posting, very interesting, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

SoCalAngler

Really liked the vid Bryan.

Though didn't Tiburon Engineering design the Makaira line of reels? I'm not trying to say Mr. Lee Auw (sp?) (its hard to hear his name clearly on my computer) is not a great engineer but the video kind of implies he was the designer of the Makaira reels.

alantani

if he is who i think he is, then this gentleman is the designer and president.  the makaira reels carry on the same basic design as the older titus gold reels.  that much i know.  i believe that tiburon and cal sheets helped with the selection of materials used in the reel and some specific design issues.  where we helped was in the assembly.  you know, the TSI lubricants, corrosion x hd, and the grease everywhere!  when the reel was first introduced and people were turning their noses up at it, we helped to show the world what the insides of the reel looked like and took some of the mystery away.  after that, it was up to the reel to live or die on it's own merits.  i'd say it's done quite well!!!!!  

also, i met the president of okuma at the fred hall show a couple of years ago.  it was neat because no one knew who he was.  i got to walk him around and show him all the different manufacturers and was able to point out what i thought were the strengths and weakness of each reel.  i really had a blast because it was just me and this older chinese gentleman puttering around the show, and no one knew he was the president of okuma!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!