Cleaning Bakelite side plates

Started by festus, March 04, 2018, 06:08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

After degreasing Bakelite side plates would it harm them if I cleaned them in  top compartment of the dishwasher after removing the rings, eccentric, springs, and all metal parts?

oc1

Don't know, but bakelite tends to absorb moisture and swell over time (decades).  A lot of heat and moisture at the same time could do something.  Let us know how it turns out.
-steve

foakes

It may not harm the sideplates too much, Chester...

However, I cannot speak to the quality of your health — after the wife finds out (and they always do, trust me)...

Safest and most effective for me —

Large wide mouth plastic container with hot water, a teaspoon of Dawn dish soap.  Soak overnight, then scrub with a toothbruth.  Or just set the container with Dawn and hot water in the US cleaner reservoir, like I do — done in 8 minutes, rinse dry, dress with NeverDull, polish with a soft micro fiber cloth.

Sometimes I just use Simple Green cut 50/50 with water, US cleaner, rinse, dry, and done.  On certain plastics, or sometimes bakelites —the SG will mar the color slightly if not careful.  Don't worry about that on already stained and salt encrusted Charter jobs though.

When a reel is completed, it gets a light spray and wipedown with WD-40.  This protects the finish, shines it up, and also removes any grease or oil that may be lurking in the crevices.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

alantani

just don't let your wife catch you.  i tried that and got busted!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

STRIPER LOU

A good trick for plates that are clean but may have very light scratches, try an ink eraser. Even better if its a double sided one pink/gray.

Hit it with the pink side all over after using the gray and then some automotive wax.

Its saved the day more than once here!

................Lou

Swami805

It gets pretty hot during the drying cycle, don't know if it's hot enough to damage them.
On a totally unrelated dishwasher use, my mom used to poach whole salmon in the dishwasher. Put it in an air tight bag with some dill and what have you. It actually was pretty good with hollindase sauce. Who Knew?
Do what you can with that you have where you are

festus

Lots of good advice here.  I've never put sideplates in the dishwasher before, but next time around I may do so but remove them before the dryingcycle.

No, never heard of cooking inside a dishwasher but have heard of folks drying clothes inside a microwave oven.   ???

steelfish

Quote from: foakes on March 04, 2018, 06:59:25 PM

Safest and most effective for me —

Large wide mouth plastic container with hot water, a teaspoon of Dawn dish soap.  Soak overnight, then scrub with a toothbruth.  Or just set the container with Dawn and hot water in the US cleaner reservoir, like I do — done in 8 minutes, rinse dry, dress with NeverDull, polish with a soft micro fiber cloth.

I do something similar to clean bakelite sideplates

I started using a toothbrush like Fred but now I use a 3/4" painting brush with the bristles cut 1/2" to make them firmer, take the most grease and oil I can with a paper towel and wet the sideplate, the add dish soap directly to the brush and start scrubbing all over the sideplate, outside, inside, rinse with warm water and repeat if necessary, let it dry and when the reel is done the sideplates look dry and dull but them you can use the old rag you used to clean the new yamaha grease from your hands when you applied it that will add a really like coat of grease to the side plates and you can later polish them as Fred with a microfiber cloth or cottom shop towel, they will look new after that.

The Baja Guy

eric

Hi all

I have used cheap baby oil rubbed into Bakelite reel spools with a soft cloth. Brings them up like new. Apparently stops the Bakelite going brittle and possibly cracking with age.

Fishy247

I have used cheap baby oil rubbed into Bakelite reel spools with a soft cloth. Brings them up like new. Apparently stops the Bakelite going brittle and possibly cracking with age.

Hmm....I wonder if coconut oil would work the same...It worked great to break in my new work boots!

-Mike

Tiddlerbasher

For me - diluted washing liquid - 10 mins us bath - scrub with a tooth brush (if there's anything left on them) - dry then Nevrdull or burnishng cream - then wax, usually auto stuff. I've also used car type black plastic restorer - looks good for a shelfie don't know how long it last in normal use :-\

oc1

Some swear by Semichrome.  It is an abrasive polish that will remove the chalky surface oxidation.  When the old surface is abraded away you have something more similar to new plastic.  However, that oxidized layer was providing a little protection against further oxidation so removing it provides the UV and ozone and whatever other oxidizer you have in the air with a fresh surface to work on. 

The oils fill the voids in the chalky surface layer so it appears shiny again.  The oils help prevent further oxidation since they stand in between the solid plastic below and the atmosphere.  But, there is nothing to bind the oil to the oxidized plastic so it won't last long. 

-steve

sdlehr

Quote from: oc1 on March 06, 2018, 07:12:32 AM
Some swear by Semichrome.  It is an abrasive polish
It is "Simichrome", and it is a non-abrasive polish. I use it regularly on hard rubber side plates as well as plated metals and German silver. I avoid abrasive polishes because in my restoration work I'm concerned with maintaining the historical integrity of my subject reel, and over decades repeated polishing with an abrasive will be detrimental.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Midway Tommy

Chester,

Just send the wife out shoe shopping and have at it. Make sure, though, that you add a few dishes so that when she gets home she thanks you for doing some kitchen work.  :)

On second thought, it may be cheaper to buy a new reel, or two!  ;D
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

oc1

Sid, if it removes rust and shines metal then it is taking off a surface layer.  You cannot turn rust or tarnish back into metal.  Maybe abrasive was too abrasive a term, but it is removing something that will never return.
-steve