Calcutta 101 te gt

Started by Corroded, March 09, 2018, 06:33:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corroded

Been thinking of getting a lighter reel for fishing the ocean from shore. I am considering a calcutta te gt 101. I knkw that thaey dont have the anti rust bearings. I don't dunk my reels but i fish them hard multiple times a month year round. I know these reels inside and out and can perform proper maintenance. What is your guys opinions on those bearings for use in the saltwater? Do they hold up as good as the "arb bearings"?

steelfish

calcutta is a fancy reel to be used on the sand/shore,  I would use it only on a pier or rock seawall, way too many small pieces on the calcutta TE to be servicing them regulary for using them on the beach as well as too many expensive bearings that could corrode,  I have a 400TE that I use from a rock seawall or from a boat, for the beach I use a round abu garcia 5000c and a 6500c3, they just dont care about sand, they get the sand on the levelwind and spitt it out no problem after  ;D
if you really want to go lighter get the calcutta 101 but do a good pre-service and keep an eye on it every few trips or get a low profile 100 / 200 size inshore reels, tons of options to chose.
The Baja Guy

oc1

I don't know anything about the TE GT thing.  But, can't you put any type of bearings you want in it?  I have original Calcutta 100 and 50 that are dunked and neglected.  They are still with me because they seem to handle the abuse OK.  I think they both have hybrid ceramic bearings now but would have to check to make sure.
-steve

handi2

Shimano's ARB bearings are just hype. They rust just as quickly as any other stainless steel bearing. They run them thru a process that actually uses some salt. I read about this years ago.

You have seen the ball bearing snap swivels that are silver or black. The snap swivels go through the same process as the ARB bearings. The change in color is the result.

Ill try to find it again.

Keith

Here is the article concerning the process. I am going out on a limb here saying its the same process used on the Shimano anti rust bearings.

http://georgepoveromo.com/content.php?pid=50
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

exp2000

Quote from: handi2 on March 10, 2018, 12:43:45 AM
Shimano's ARB bearings are just hype. They rust just as quickly as any other stainless steel bearing.

X2

Quicker I reckon.

Some fishos think that ARB stands for Anti Rust Bearings.

What it really stands for is Auto Rust Bearings.
~

Corroded

I ended up getting one to match my 201. We will see how this goes. I always coat the insides(side plate & body) of my saltwater reels with marine grease and clean and re oil my bearings with CorrosionX. We will see how this holds up. Besides ceramic spool bearings. What are some modifications you guys like to add to salt water reels? I was thinking a longer handle as one upgrade because the 100 series calcutta handles are little.