Bearing shields

Started by thorhammer, March 10, 2018, 03:29:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

What's best way to remove bearing shield? One way trip then solvent soak and Corrosion x to be left open. 

mo65

Always a challenge for me...even with my reading glasses on. Some bearings are so tiny I use a fish hook to pop the shield off. Almost always destroys the shield, but everyone seems to like them better open anyway. I wrestled the shield off a bearing last night only to discover I had ripped the ball carrier out too! Now what? Is that bearing useless with the balls all "free ranging" around the races? :D
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Tiddlerbasher

A hook is as good as any tool for shield removal. I use cheap Ebay dental picks too - easier to handle than a hook but sometimes a little soft and bends easily. I may try and make an epoxy handle for a hook that might work.

PacRat

I use a syringe and a magnifying visor. Good light helps too. A syringe will finesse its way behind the snap ring. You can twist the syringe a bit  as the point finds its way into the groove behind the snap-ring. Gentle pressure will guide the point  around the circumference and the ring will pop right out. You will curl a few points and bend a few needles but this works very well, especially on the tiny bearings.
A good R/C hobby shop will sell a bearing blaster that directs brake cleaner through the bearings under pressure. These work very well.
http://www.rpmrcproducts.com/shop/tools/bearing-blaster/

-Mike

SoCalAngler

All the sheilds I have removed from the International's had a ring clip holding them in. I use a syringe needle to pop them out of the bearing but a smaller straightened fishhook will also work to remove the rings. Then the sheild can be removed and reused if wanted.

Alto Mare

Good tip from all.
I have tried all mentioned above, but at times there is that one that just won't budge and not because it doesn't have the ring retainer.
When that does happen to you as well and you're not worried about replacing the shield, these should do the trick:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1971.msg10129#msg10129

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

oc1

I have screwed up more than once and ruined a bearing while trying to take the shield off.  The cage material is so thin that it doesn't take much pressure to deform something.  Now I don't try to take the shield off unless the bearing already has very little free spin time and there is nothing to lose.
-steve

Cor

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 10, 2018, 08:18:50 PM
Good tip from all.
I have tried all mentioned above, but at times there is that one that just won't budge and not because it doesn't have the ring retainer.
When that does happen to you as well and you're not worried about replacing the shield, these should do the trick:

Quote from: oc1 on March 10, 2018, 08:38:45 PM
I have screwed up more than once and ruined a bearing while trying to take the shield off.  The cage material is so thin that it doesn't take much pressure to deform something.  Now I don't try to take the shield off unless the bearing already has very little free spin time and there is nothing to lose.
-steve

Sal

I've always found this a difficult thing to do and messed up a few bearings in the process.   I now prefer to leave them alone until I have reason to want to open it.   Bearings too expensive to mess up!
Cornelis

Zimbass

We all have the T shirt !!

Bearings are too expensive here in Africa,.............. hey Cor  :'(
Never was so much owed by so many to so few.

Cor

Quote from: Zimbass on March 11, 2018, 09:28:59 AM

We all have the T shirt !!

Bearings are too expensive here in Africa,.............. hey Cor  :'(
Like most things!
Cornelis

exp2000

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 10, 2018, 08:18:50 PM

Sal

Not meaning to boast but I don't think I have ever destroyed a bearing and I remove the shields on one side quite regularly. I mostly work with small spool bearings but the same principles scale up to larger ones also.

It can help to use a mini vice or grips to hold the bearing stationery.

First I use a small tool like a mini scalpel blade on a regular handle to open a crevice in the shield gap. Do not force it down. Just penetrate the shield, twist the blade and pry the shield upwards. I also use a diamond file to dress the scalpel blade for greater penetration.

Once you have expanded the gap sufficiently you can then use a stronger tool like Sal's mini crow bar to rip the whole thing off.

I also do this with retainer type shields unless I intend to restore the shield later as it is much less fiddly than trying to remove retainers
~

Alto Mare

The way I do it is to place the pic close to the inner race and give it a little pressure, shields are not that tough.
I guess I've been lucky, didn't ruin one to date, but I believe it has to do on how you use the tool.
Lets not fotget, man made the tool and not the other way around ;D

Bottom line...use whatever works best for your application. :)

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.