Senator Upgrades

Started by oldtrackster, July 20, 2011, 12:50:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldtrackster

Hey guys been looking at the Tiburon frame for the Senators.

I have two questions.

1. Are aftermarket internal parts available that will allow a safe, substantial drag increase?

2. I have seen where the gearing on a Senator can be increased to 3.25.  What are the pros and cons of increasing the gear ratio?
Can someone explain how the Feds count recreational Red Snapper catch?

"Pretty sure it involves a witch doctor, an astrologist, and a tub of KY jelly." - jamisjockey

Norcal Pescador

The gear sleeve and pinion yoke can be, for the most part, changed out with stainless steel versions in the 2/0, 3/0 and 4/0 reels. The 6/0 gear sleeve hasn't hit the market that I've heard of. If your present reel has brass and fiber washers it can be upgraded to a 1+3 or 1+5 drags stack with s/s and carbon fiber (HT-100 or Carbontex) drag washers. The 112 (5:1) and 113H (4:1) s/s gear sets are made by Newell and sold by them or Charkbait or others (if they're in stock).
There may be more options out there. Some of the changes noted above require a bit of custom fitting on the reel. :-\
Higher gear ratio = faster retrieve (fewer cranks to get the same amount of line in; Lower gear ratio = easier cranking, but more turns. Some fish only like fast moving meals. ;D
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

redsetta

Just to add to Rob's comments, I've been trying to track down 4:1 gears for my 113H, but Newell doesn't have any at present. Likewise Charkbait.
They're available secondhand on the web, but you'd want to be certain they're in top condition - as Alan's mentioned before, flaws in the gear teeth will resonate right through the reel.
I've done the 5+1 Carbontex upgrade to my 113H, as well as S/S gear sleeve (from Alan) and S/S yoke (from Dawn), and am very happy with the results.
Just waiting for the Tiburon frame/spool kit to arrive, then it'll be time for a Kolekar grip and high-speed gears (when I can find some).
Good luck with the upgrades.
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

oldtrackster

:-\. Figures I have a 6/0.  So to upgrade the reel for higher drag, the gear sleeve and pinion yoke are the parts that need replacing.  Any others?  I have carbontex in it already, and sounds like adjusting the drag is the easy part.

I could see finding a gear sleeve that would do the job, but unless someone manufactures the pinion yoke I am not sure I could pull that one off.

I saw where smooth drag has stainless steel "yoke" for 114 H, that is just short for pinion yoke, yes? and compatible with the HLW?

"Pretty sure it involves a witch doctor, an astrologist, and a tub of KY jelly." - jamisjockey

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: oldtrackster on July 20, 2011, 02:53:21 AM
:-\.

I saw where smooth drag has stainless steel "yoke" for 114 H, that is just short for pinion yoke, yes? and compatible with the HLW?
Yes and yes. :)
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

13starsinax

when i ordered drags from smoooth drag she told me she didnt have carbonex,,just the extreme smoothies option which i took. 6/0 gear sleeve is available from elctramate for around 25.00

oldtrackster