Fishing Bib Suggestions

Started by pjstevko, March 22, 2018, 04:15:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theswimmer

Oops, my jacket and my offshore vest are both Henri Lloyd.
When I first bought my jacket it was almost too nice to use fishing , and then I got over it😁

I will also second the HellyHansen recommendation.
I had a Helly shell that for about 10 years went everywhere, from the highest in the Sierra to offshore year round ,
I just couldn't kill it.  Finally gave it to a kid I was sailing with during a race in the winter series off Ventura.
I saw him last year at the tall ship challenge and he was still wearing that damn jacket!
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

swill88

Grundens has a lighter weight, less expensive line of foul weather gear by the name of Grundens Gage. I like my svelte black bibs.

They seem a bit more stylish so for photogenic model types like us, PJ, it's the way to go. (BT will do better sticking with the Herc or Bohuck labels ::))

Steve

theswimmer

Wayne ,
Alaska , Gary's boat no?
😎
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

theswimmer

Quote from: swill88 on March 22, 2018, 09:25:16 PM
Grundens has a lighter weight, less expensive line of foul weather gear by the name of Grundens Gage. I like my svelte black bibs.

They seem a bit more stylish so for photogenic model types like us, PJ, it's the way to go. (BT will do better sticking with the Herc or Bohuck labels ::))

Steve

You said Bohuck😐

Errol Flynn

swill88

Quote from: theswimmer on March 22, 2018, 09:27:15 PM
Quote from: swill88 on March 22, 2018, 09:25:16 PM

Steve

You said Bohuck😐

Bohunk may be considered a slur to my Hungarian brothers... So

El Pescador

Quote from: theswimmer on March 22, 2018, 09:25:49 PM
Wayne ,
Alaska , Gary's boat no?
😎

Jonathan,

CorrectAMundo!!!!

I am aboard the USS Maiko, and Capt. Gary-the-BUTT-man is at the helm taking photos!!!

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Dominick

Quote from: thorhammer on March 22, 2018, 07:59:55 PM
Wayne, Dominick, Mante (where are you hiding brother??? :), me, Steve (remember what you look like upright, buddy!) and Alan (in his Grunden's).

As I recall it maybe hit 55 that day but was misty and cool in the morning, third week of September on the Bay, and I was actually sweating at one point when sun came out. Dominick lent me a hat because my coconut was getting burned. I didn't think they had sun in the bay and didn't bring one lol.
In that photo of us on the bay I am modeling Helley Hansen bibs.  Funny, looking at the photo there are 5 different bibs evident.  Of course macho Wayne was wearing jeans.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Swami805

i have a set of orange Grunes. I always feel like the bibs make me look like orange Gumby
Do what you can with that you have where you are

El Pescador

Quote from: Dominick on March 22, 2018, 10:02:33 PM
In that photo of us on the bay I am modeling Helley Hansen bibs.  Funny, looking at the photo there are 5 different bibs evident. 
Of course macho Wayne was wearing jeans.  Dominick

Well Thank You Dominick for that comment!

My definition of Macho is a guy who jogs home after a vasectomy!

Tight Lines... FISH ON!

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Gobi King

"jogs home after vasec..."

Now there is a M-A-N

Here is my 2 cents,
I am a sensitive guy and I get neck and shoulder pain if I wear suspenders, not sure why,

Winter - I wear weatherproof gerry ski pants I bought from costco for $23, very well made.
for a waterproof layer I use a frogg togg light 2 pieces rain suit, cheap and works very well and I don't get any neck/shoulder pain.

Do these bibs easy off and easy on with bottom of the pant legs opening up like a male stripper pants?
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Keta

Quote from: El Pescador on March 23, 2018, 03:14:14 AM
My definition of Macho is a guy who jogs home after a vasectomy!

More dumb than macho but I went on a afternoon/evening halibut fishing trip 2 hours after mine.  Even more dumb was having a tooth filled without carbocaine, DO NOT DO THIS!
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

gstours

I,m wondering why one of the five bib guys was holding up more 🐟 fish?   Just saying.  Thanks 🙏
   Bibs definitely will help keep you warm and clean and dry.   You have lots of options, the gore tex stuff is very comfortable and lightweight.  Even lined sometimes.  Kind to your washer and just hang up to dry.
   Zipper legs, Velcro ankle adjustable,  it's my summer time wear,  till the sun comes out which is never it seems.🌦

Hardy Boy

Go for the Helly for sure. Great for fishing but not for working as you will sweat to death. I wear the 3/4 length duster a lot as it goes down to the top of your boots. I usually have mustang floater bib pants on when its raining with the duster on top. When I used to guide one of my American clients called the Helly pants and jacket the Canadian Tuxedo !

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

MarkT

I use the Gage by Grundens to deal with wind and spray.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!