L.M. Dixon 4/0 Conventional Reel--Model 9975/B

Started by wcarah, July 21, 2011, 07:33:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wcarah

I am trying to find the origins or maker of a conventional fishing reel marked "L.M. Dixon, Model 9975/B."  It is about 4/0 in size with star drag, manual clutch, clicker and counter-weighted power handle.  The bottom side of the mount has carriage type bolt holes for a rod clamp.  The mounting foot is stamped "Made in Japan OK14".  The reel closely resembles an older Penn Senator, but has no harness lugs.  The reel is likely from the 1970's and still functions fine.  I rather doubt there are any parts on the market, but I would like to know this reel's origins as it may have been sold under several different names.  I would love to get a schematic if possible.

alantani

i've never seen one before, but hopefully someone here has.  i'd love to see some photos. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

wcarah

Alan,

I've been trying to send you a photo of the LM Dixon reel, but I get a message that the "uploader file is full."

WBC

alantani

here you go!  warren, i'll let you tell the story.  it should be easy to service. i would need to cut a set of drag washers by hand.  that would only take another 5 minutes, but i would have to have the reel in hand. 

wcarah

Alan, thank you for posting the photo.  The correct brand name on the reel is L.M. Dickson, not Dixon as previously stated.  I have learned that the brand name "L.M. Dickson" was a trade-marked brand of the Taico Trading Company of San Francisco.  Taico applied the L.M. Dickson brand to fishing tackle, sporting goods, toys, and even Christmas decorations imported from Japan.  The L.M. Dickson brand was first used in 1957 or so and ended in the late 70's.  The trademark was cancelled in 2001.

I purchased the reel at a flea market in Alameda in the early 1970's and used it for offshore fishing outside San Francisco Bay.  More recently, the reel has seen duty in the Great Lakes for salmon fishing.  The drag is beginning to slip and I would like to retrofit it with something from another reel if I can find the original schematic to see the configuration.

The reel closely resembles a smaller Penn Senator without the harness lugs. It is not quite a 4/0 in size. It most resembles a Penn 111 2/0 reel from days gone past.  It is likely a Penn knockoff, but a good quality one.  The reel has been a good performer over the years and I would like to continue to use it if I can refurbish the drag.

Regards,

Warren B. Carah
Brighton, MI   

alantani

it is an easy reel to service.  the problem is that drag washers would likely have to be hand cut.  you could match them up with something on this list http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=21.0  and maybe get a hit.  or at least match up the inside diameter and grind down the outside.  or send it out here and i could take a look at it!

akfish

I'm alost sure it will take Squidder drag washers (006 060).
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Rusty hooks

I've got a 9975-B....in it's original and somewhat frayed cardboard box...complete with registration tags for "The American Import Company", 1167 Mission St. SF, CA 94103.....

I've got the expanded sheet as well...pm me your address and I'll shoot you a copy....no parts numbers..just part description

Reel works great and closely resembles the Penn 113.....it's going back into service this year...on an old Montague split bamboo.... ;)

Retro fishing ;D

Irish Jigger

They were sold in the UK in the 1970's under the name Winfield. A very well made Japanese Penn knock off having stainless steel reinf rings long before Penn changed from brass to ss.
I still see the odd one for sale over here. :)

George4741

It resembles the Olympic reels that came out of Japan.  I wonder if it is a rebranded one of those.
viurem lliures o morirem

wcarah

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions and tips.  The old reel is now back in service after Alan installed new drag washers.  It is definately a Penn knock-off, but well made with years of service left.  Most recently it saw action on Blues off Cape Cod in Sept..  It is likely these reels were sold under a variety of brand names over the years, but I have never been able to find out who actually made the reels in Japan.  The trading company in San Francisco appears to be out of business.

Warren