Penn 50SW help

Started by Hankt, July 23, 2011, 02:13:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hankt

I bought a used Penn 50SW that wouldn't stay in gear.  The plunger, gear button worked, but it wouldn't lock in.

I took it apart and, after removing the retaining clips, could move the gear easily until it was about flush with the face of the cover/right side housing end.  It took some coaxing to convince it to come out as pushing the plunger and applying pressure from the outside in provided no extra movement.

When I got the gear out it looks as if someone put the plunger pins in flat side out as both are wedged in tight and appear flat and even pitted.

One side:

the other:

Is there any way of getting those out?  I live/fish in Hong Kong and I don't think there is a Penn service center near me.  Shipping for parts to here is about the same cost as the parts, so I tend to repair/recycle/rebuild if I can.

Also, has anyone had success removing broken off rod clamp bolts with an easy out?

Thanks,

Hank

(if anyone is interested, I usually add pictures and trip reports to my blog:
http://hongkongsportfishing.blogspot.com )

alantani

reach from the inside with something that has a slightly bent point and push them out.  then get a new set of pins if yours are in bad shape.  for the rod clamp bolts, half the time i am successful.  the other half not and i have to drill and retap.  it's messy. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Hankt

Quote from: alantani on July 23, 2011, 05:04:04 AM
reach from the inside with something that has a slightly bent point and push them out.  then get a new set of pins if yours are in bad shape.  for the rod clamp bolts, half the time i am successful.  the other half not and i have to drill and retap.  it's messy. 

Thanks for the advice. How do I get inside the gear stud to push from the inside?

I appreciate your help.

kamuwela

inside the shaft is a spring and plunger. depress the plunger and try to knock the pin's in.

josa1

Hi Hank,

Interesting problem.  I would be worried that having the flat side of the drive shaft pins facing the grooves in the side plate sleeve has damaged the sleeve.  As you obviously know, the grooves in this sleeve are where the pins are seated when a specific gear is selected.  If you're going to order parts, you might want to verify the condition of these grooves, and if necessary, order the necessary replacement parts.  If the sleeve is damaged, repair could get a little expensive.

josa1

alantani

i am hoping to see what the pins look like.  hopefully the are in good shape ......   :-\

josa1

I believe that you're probably right Alan, the rounded surfaces of the pins which are now riding against the tapered plunger should be fine.  A little clean up on the pin edges and they should be good to go.  I noticed that there are some unusual circular wear patterns on the drive shaft.  I was thinking that maybe those were caused by metal being removed from the sleeve.  Hope not!

josa

alantani

and judging by the discoloration on the drive shaft, this reel has seen some salt!

Hankt

Quote from: kamuwela on July 23, 2011, 08:32:12 AM
inside the shaft is a spring and plunger. depress the plunger and try to knock the pin's in.

Pushing the plunger in provides no apparent movement capability for the pins.  I don't have a garage or work bench so trying to keep that pushed while using a punch and a hammer is damned impossible!

I may give up and buy new, damn it.

kamuwela

hank wh

hold the pin's and depress the plunger with a small screw driver. the pin's will fall in or out while depressed. the only pressure against the pin's is from the plunger spring. you can remove the plunger and spring and push them in then fish them out.

alantani

can you send it out to me first?  you have a pm.