965 International

Started by Scattergun2570, March 31, 2018, 02:57:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scattergun2570

So a buddy of mine gave me some reels to work on. I am an amateur for sure,,so I took it on to get new experience.Two of them were  965's..the first one I opened went fine. This second one,I turned the handle and it was apparent there was an issue. I took it apart,and the plastic gears that turn the pawl and spool,don't move unless I push pretty hard,and even then,it moves an 1/8 inch and stops again..so where do I go from here?

handi2

Looking down into the frame you can see the 3 flat head screws. Those screws come out to remove the left side tail plate. Once its off you will see what to do.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Scattergun2570

Quote from: handi2 on March 31, 2018, 04:05:34 PM
Looking down into the frame you can see the 3 flat head screws. Those screws come out to remove the left side tail plate. Once its off you will see what to do.

Keith

Ok great thanks

JRD

It looks like you've already had it apart.  Make sure the bearing is seated all the way down.  Make sure you have not dropped a small e-clip in there and it's bound up.  There is often a small brass washer one one side of the gear, check that it is in the correct place.   Finally turn the clicker off when you seat the spool.

handi2

Keith

Let us know what you find. Usually the levelwind pawl goes bad putting strain on the plastic idler gear. It goes bad and maybe the plastic gear on the end of the spool. Scott's has all the parts needed.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Scattergun2570

Quote from: handi2 on April 01, 2018, 04:46:29 PM

Keith

Let us know what you find. Usually the levelwind pawl goes bad putting strain on the plastic idler gear. It goes bad and maybe the plastic gear on the end of the spool. Scott's has all the parts needed.
Found lots of old grease and sand,,i buttoned it back up..moved on to a Calcutta 400