Penn 965 International

Started by Scattergun2570, April 04, 2018, 12:53:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scattergun2570

Ok,so I am back to the 965.. I did the gears,and drag,all went well there. The plastic gears,are not moving unless forced,but the level wind does not move at all. This is with the spool removed..the bearing seems to be free spinning,so I am assuming it's the worm/pawl...or should I get the left side plate removed and check something there? Thanks

akfish

I'd recommend removing the left side plate so you can see if the teeth on the plastic idler gear are ok; my guess is they are not. Check out the plastic spool gear as well. And if the level wind is stuck, there's a very good chance that you need a worm and a pawl. Level winds are the first thing to go wrong on these reels -- along with the clicker.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Scattergun2570

Quote from: akfish on April 04, 2018, 03:13:18 AM
I'd recommend removing the left side plate so you can see if the teeth on the plastic idler gear are ok; my guess is they are not. Check out the plastic spool gear as well. And if the level wind is stuck, there's a very good chance that you need a worm and a pawl. Level winds are the first thing to go wrong on these reels -- along with the clicker.

You were right..I missed it the first time I inspected..i think I will order the idler gear,worm,and pawl.