Penn Knuckle Busters

Started by TongassFisher, April 04, 2018, 10:41:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TongassFisher

Anyone have enthusiasm around the Penn Produced non drag knuckle buster reels? 77, 78, Atlantic models, 190 and I'm sure there are more?

I picked up this 78 because it had the mottled coloring and was $10 on eBay. After a cleaning and service, I'm really diggin these reels. Think I'd like to try and steelhead fish with one on these south east alaska creeks. If I can get used to controlling overrun I'd like to hit the cohos as well from shore.

Found this YouTube video a bit insprings. "I'm going to have to try this"

Rivverrat

I've a couple of those reels around here some where.  When I was a kid I caught perch & channel cat with them. Your thread here & posting of this video has given me a desire to get them out & use them again... Jeff

Tiddlerbasher

Yeh I inhereted a 79 - fair condition - not sure what to do with it :-\

oc1

The 78 has one of those new-fangled clutches and free spool.  It could probably be tuned to cast really well.

It came out at a time when lines were changing so the proportions are peculiar.  It's rated for 200 yards of 36# mono.  36# line is a lot when you can only generate about three to five pounds of drag with thumb pressure.  It would cast much better with fifteen to twenty pound mono but you would have more line yardage than required for the task at hand.
-steve

akfish

The 249 was a knuckle buster as well. It had the same profile as a 49 and 149 but no drag or anti-reverse.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

festus

Yep, I have the Penn 77, 78, and 79.  My No 78 isn't as good shape as your's, TongassFisher, all it's had is a wipedown, needs some cleaner screws and posts, maybe even a handle.  It seems to work very well, I just haven't spooled and cast it.  Mine has the lighthouse scene on the tail plate plus a wooden handle knob.

My No 79 is the first freespool baitcaster I owned.  Don't remember what I gave for it (late 1960s) but I got a buck and some change back.  I quit using it after I bought my first Abu 5000.

Never cast the No 77 either.  Should do fairly well.  I learned baitcasting on an old levelwind Shakespeare Triumph knucklebuster. I bet the No 77 is a better caster.

Rivverrat

I'm gaining a renewed interest in these reels. I think they offer the conventional reel user a pure form of fishing.  With today's 2 speed reels & star drag reels with extremely smooth drags an angler can go about  to a degree, running dumb. Mindlessly throwing to what ever spot looks good

On the river I fish a reel like those in this post, one would have to plan a bit, with more thinking ahead about where your at in regards to a fish once hooked.  I think using one of these reels would expose things I've   excepted as the norm & taken for granted for a very long time... I'm really liking the idea of fishing an old knuckle buster.  

I think for the same reason I put down my rifle for hunting & now hunt most times with handgun & bow... Jeff

Brewcrafter

Cleaned and tuned one of these over the winter.  Spooled it with 30# Dacron with a top shot of 25# mono, and married it to an old "broomstick" split bamboo ocean rod from the 1940-50s that belongs to a buddy.  Just waiting to find some SoCal yellowtail hanging under a kelp paddy this summer and "whoo boy!" Gonna try it old style!

xjchad

Quote from: Brewcrafter on April 20, 2018, 05:14:42 AM
Cleaned and tuned one of these over the winter.  Spooled it with 30# Dacron with a top shot of 25# mono, and married it to an old "broomstick" split bamboo ocean rod from the 1940-50s that belongs to a buddy.  Just waiting to find some SoCal yellowtail hanging under a kelp paddy this summer and "whoo boy!" Gonna try it old style!

I'd love to watch, sounds fun!!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

nelz

Nice collector reel.

For actual fishing, I would draw the line at no free spool though. That spinning handle is a disaster waiting to happen!

Decker

Quote from: Rivverrat on April 05, 2018, 11:46:00 PM
I'm gaining a renewed interest in these reels. I think they offer the conventional reel user a pure form of fishing.  With today's 2 speed reels & star drag reels with extremely smooth drags an angler can go about  to a degree, running dumb. Mindlessly throwing to what ever spot looks good

On the river I fish a reel like those in this post, one would have to plan a bit, with more thinking ahead about where your at in regards to a fish once hooked.  I think using one of these reels would expose things I've   excepted as the norm & taken for granted for a very long time... I'm really liking the idea of fishing an old knuckle buster.  

I think for the same reason I put down my rifle for hunting & now hunt most times with handgun & bow... Jeff

I can appreciate what you are saying, Riverrat.   Like the difference between driving a car to work and riding a bicycle -- there is a qualitative difference that can't be measured, but slowing down gives you a richer experience.   I imagine that Steve (OC1) is experiencing that.   It's one of the attractions of fly-fishing too.

George6308

The Penn 185 is another Penn without the star drag. It's the same size as the Penn 180 Baymaster.

oc1

Be on the look-out for one of those leather thumb stalls Jeff and Brew.  They make a big difference with a fish on.  If you can't find them I can make them up for you.
-steve

Rivverrat

Quote from: oc1 on April 21, 2018, 02:17:21 AM
Be on the look-out for one of those leather thumb stalls Jeff and Brew.  They make a big difference with a fish on.  If you can't find them I can make them up for you.
-steve

Appreciate that Steve. I think I've enough left over leather to fashion something.  Right now I'm having trouble finding these reels I thought I had. I'll give E Bay a look.   

Shark Hunter

I have several of these old 70 series Dinosaurs in mint condish.
When I retire, I will fish them thoroughly. ;)
Life is Good!