Rusted Bearing Daiwa SL 250H

Started by Irish Jigger, July 25, 2011, 08:27:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irish Jigger

I have just been handed a Daiwa Sealine SL 250H with the following comment"It lay in my fishing bag for about 12 years and sounds a bit rough,would you have a look at it?"
OK, I removed the handle side end plate of this graphite reel only to find the  spool ball bearing firmly seized to the spool spindle. Not wishing to break anything as spares can be difficult to obtain I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions that may help.
I may be able to remove the 4 Bridge screws using a special tool but would prefer a quick solution to this problem.
Noticed a perfect brass/bronze bush in the LHS side of this reel. Never had this problem with my beloved Penns! :'(

alantani

i slide two screwdrivers under the pinion gear at opposite sides, then twist them both clockwise and gently lift up the bearing.  i have found this works the best because you can apply equal lift to both sides. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

winston61

the best product I know for removing rusted or seized parts is Kroil. It works when  nothing else will. I don't work for them, I just buy and use the product.

Quote from: Irish Jigger on July 25, 2011, 08:27:13 AM
I have just been handed a Daiwa Sealine SL 250H with the following comment"It lay in my fishing bag for about 12 years and sounds a bit rough,would you have a look at it?"
OK, I removed the handle side end plate of this graphite reel only to find the  spool ball bearing firmly seized to the spool spindle. Not wishing to break anything as spares can be difficult to obtain I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions that may help.
I may be able to remove the 4 Bridge screws using a special tool but would prefer a quick solution to this problem.
Noticed a perfect brass/bronze bush in the LHS side of this reel. Never had this problem with my beloved Penns! :'(

Norcal Pescador

Once you get the bearing off, you should be able to get a bearing from Daiwa, Mike's Reel Repair or Dave's Fishing Reel Parts in Florida. I bought some bearings from Dave's when Daiwa was of no help and it arrived quickly.  http://op1.triadinet.com/fishermansworld/nlcatalog.asp?loc=nlclass.asp&args=dept
Good luck with it.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Irish Jigger

Thanks guys for all your advice.
Alan,I tried using two screwdrivers like you suggested. No luck looks like the bearing is welded to the spool spindle.
Winston 61 I have left it soaking in Plus Gas as unfortunately Kroil is not available in Ireland or the UK.
Norcal pescador,I wish I was ready to order a bearing.thanks anyway I do have a great source of good Japanese BB's in the UK. I keep a stock in reserve for my Trinidads etc.

Tomorrow is decision day shall keep you posted on my progress,if any. As it's not my reel I must be gentle with it! ;)

Irish Jigger

Tried again to remove the bearing without success. Modified a very fine screwdriver to fit between the spool and bridge. Was able to loosen the four bridge screws. Each individual screw was laboriously unscrewed using tweezers.
Dismantled reel and measured seized  bearing (4x11x4mm.)
Gently cracked bearing outer and inner races in bench vice. Cleaned up spindle,fitted new  bearing (Trinidad TN16 spare)and hey presto reel repaired. As this was the first Daiwa multiplier I had worked on I was very impressed with it's engineering.

redsetta

Good work mate - success is sweet!  ;D
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Irish Jigger

Thank's redsetta,a new reel can appear daunting at first but with Alan's tutorials and the advice available on this site there is no excuse for not giving it a go.