A Source for Tube spacers (spacer sleeves) on Star drag reels.

Started by gstours, April 06, 2018, 03:15:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

It seems like everyonce in a while you find what you want, or so it seems.  This Stainless steel tubing is just the thing for making stardrag reels (113h in this case) a custom gearsleeve tubing spacers.   Its 1/16  (.062'') wall thickness is good.  inner dia. of .50'' and outer dia of 5/8'' (.650+)     As is sometimes the case the factory ones can be too short.  So with some drag packages the length can now be quite easily made.
  Shown below is the link to a supplier .  

STAINLESS STEEL TUBING 5/8" O.D. X 10 INCH LENGTH X 1/16" WALL 16MM TB16X010
STAINLESS STEEL TUBING 5/8" O.D. X 10 INCH LENGTH X 1/16" WALL 16MM TB16X010
( 401509059244 )
 This is an E-bay sale.  Sold by tibwholesales ( 26539 )  This is marketed as food grade-dairy-brewing- quality.
Subtotal    $4.98
Shipping    $3.80

Total
$8.78    The Length is 10 inches in this case.  Shipping was from mid USA and quite fast I thought.   Other sizes of course are available.

gstours

The tube will be cut for the first spacer length of .375. Or a smidgen more and shortened as needed. 🤦‍♀️

Gfish

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

gstours

The last hot rod reel I assembled can use a longer than the .350" penn spacer and still back off the stay to zero tension.  Others I've done a brass tube was used, butt this seems better.   🐠

Tiddlerbasher

Gfish - on a lathe I use HSS Co tools - That is high speed steel with added cobalt. I also use HSS Co drills - they last longer and cut better. If you use brass tube anything will cut it :)

Black Pearl

Just be careful when dealing with stainless steel on stainless moving parts.

swill88

Quote from: Black Pearl on April 06, 2018, 08:53:04 PM

Be careful and look for?   ???

Black Pearl

Quote from: swill88 on April 06, 2018, 09:40:12 PM
Quote from: Black Pearl on April 06, 2018, 08:53:04 PM

Be careful and look for?   ???

It is not a good ideal to make a sleeve space in stainless steel especially when the sleeve is in stainless steel. It has too much contact. That was the reason my resource did not make those JigMaster sleeve spaces in stainless steel. Something will go bad eventually. But, who knows. 

Ron Jones

Similar materials rubbing against each other have a tendency to gall, especially under load. With ferrous metals, you can often use different alloys with different heat treating to get around it. I'm not certain what either of the alloys in question are. If I had allthe money in the world, I'd make the sleeve out of Monell, at least it works in the propulsion plant of a submarine.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Keta

Quote from: Ron Jones on April 07, 2018, 11:51:41 AM
Similar materials rubbing against each other have a tendency to gall, especially under load. With ferrous metals, you can often use different alloys with different heat treating to get around it. I'm not certain what either of the alloys in question are. If I had allthe money in the world, I'd make the sleeve out of Monell, at least it works in the propulsion plant of a submarine.
Ron

Many SS alloys are real bad for galling.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

swill88

Thanks everybody. I learned something Ron!

Mo·nel
mōˈnel
nountrademark
noun: Monel metal
a nickel-copper alloy with high tensile strength and resistance to corrosion.

Steve

Tiddlerbasher

Ron Jones

It is very durable, corrosive resistant and heavy. It is used in ots of areas where corrosion would be very bad and where a surface may be a bearing. Like I said though, a gold plated reel might be cheaper.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Keta

Quote from: swill88 on April 07, 2018, 02:14:18 PM

Mo·nel
mōˈnel
nountrademark

Steve

I prefer Inconel over monel but both are better than SS.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

El Pescador

Quote from: Keta on April 07, 2018, 03:14:04 PM
Quote from: swill88 on April 07, 2018, 02:14:18 PM

Mo·nel
mōˈnel
nountrademark

Steve

I prefer Inconel over monel but both are better than SS.

Steve-meister & Lee,

You two are true MetalHeads!!!!!

Monel...   Inconel...   "I don't know Nell",

I too learned something on this rainy Saturday am,

http://blog.loosco.com/bid/104775/distinguishing-between-inconel-and-monel       

Both metals are a high a Nickel alloy,  with Inconel used in areas of oxidation & high-temperature corrosion.

The depth & breadth of knowledge on this site is very wide & deep.

Wayne

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!