Grease those screw threads... pic heavy

Started by Fish-aholic, July 25, 2011, 02:38:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fish-aholic

My friend bought a 2nd hand Penn 525mag2 (labelled "squall" stateside) and gave it to me to service.
It was clear to me, the reel hasn't had one clean since bought from new, judging by the amount of salt crystal's formed.
I have now come across a big problem and I can't manage to get past the obstcale. I hope Alan or another clued up member can help me out?

It's to do with the brass coloured support bars, where the screws tighten down at either end, to secure the left & right sideplates to the frame.
The screws at either end of those bars, are locked tight from the elements. I managed to free the one bar of both screws, though, the other bar, I only managed to free the one screw. The other screw is not playing ball and is stuck solid.
I tried wd40 and corrosion-X and waited for it to seep into the screws thread. Still no luck removing it.

Here's a few pics:

Screw in question is circled -

I decided to carefully tap out the support bar and this finally released the left sideplate from the cage -

With some grippers, while protecting the support bar with kitchen towel, I tried to grip the bar firmly, without doing any damage - still the screw will not come out.
It's getting to the point now, where I am doing damage to the screws head and the support bar, from using hard labour.
My hands are quickly becoming a blister fest, the way I'm carrying on, lol! HELP!!!

If only the threads on the screws had a lace of grease from the get-go, this would would never be a problem.

Alto Mare

I've been there before with my later models Senators, I actually have 3 or 4  frames with broken screws in them, one day I'm going to  personally drive them to Penn and see if they'll do anything about it. About your problem, you could waste time with penetrating oil, heet and such but I'm sure that in the end you will still need a new support bar and screw. I'm going to recommend that you clamp that support bar in the vice, grab the frame with your hand and twist it a little, sometimes that loosens the screw just enough for you to use the screwdriver. if it does move a little, make sure that you go in both directions with the crewdriver as you unscrew it. I have wood jaws on my vice, you could try to protect the post, but at this point I would just get it out and replace it. :-\
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

yeah, that's why you have to go through them before you put them into service.  doesn't matter what brand you have.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dominick

Hey Fish: Go to page 3 of this link.  The tips contained on that page are worth trying.  Even if you decide to get new parts, the knowledge will come in handy some day.  Good luck.  Let us know if it works.  Dominick
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1015.30
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Irish Jigger

Grip the bar in a hand vice and using a drill bit the same diameter as the screws (previously removed),drill down through the screw head. This should weaken the retaining screw enough to release the bar. You will have to replace the bar and screw. (A centre punch impression in the centre of the screw head slot should ensure the drill does not wander.)

AshNorris

Been there many times. Would have to agree with the rest of the board on this one.

Nessie Hunter

I have had some issues with Side Plate screws that are beyond reasonable (we probably all have)..

If nothing else works, I get desperate and go to the Impact Driver.. 
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00947641000P?blockNo=2&blockType=G2&prdNo=2&i_cntr=1311693347746

This has freed several Screws for me, saving drilling and cutting or damage to Reel...
I always Buy new screws after this method is used, I feel the small screws are probably weakened and almost always I have pretty much messed up the Slots by then...

The hardest part of using this Tool is getting the reel on a solid surface so you can smack the Driver with a hammer...

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Marlinmate

Loctite Freeze & Release Penetrating oil worked for me eariler this year on a few of those screws.   See my earlier posts on my PENN Reel drill and tap debacle.

FISHING IS THE SPORT OF DROWNING WORMS

Fish-aholic

By jingo! Got there in the end.

I needed another pair of hands and with a bit of team work, finally removed the screw from the support bar!

Thank you all for your suggestions and taking the time to post!

franky

Congratulations on your success  :D.

Just as a side caution and suggestion...Now that you gotten it loose, I would consider changing that particular screw due to the stress that was bestowed upon it.  You never know, that old screw may have metal fatigue.  I have seen the head of a screw twist right off with minimal effort due to metal fatigue  :o....now THAT redefines the term...STRESS & HEADACHE!    

Fish-aholic

Quote from: franky on July 27, 2011, 09:25:41 PM
Congratulations on your success  :D.

Just as a side caution and suggestion...Now that you gotten it loose, I would consider changing that particular screw due to the stress that was bestowed upon it.  You never know, that old screw may have metal fatigue.  I have seen the head of a screw twist right off with minimal effort due to metal fatigue  :o....now THAT redefines the term...STRESS & HEADACHE!    

Good point raised there. Thanks for that - I will get it replaced, just incase  ;)