Hi, I'm new here

Started by Acetylcholin99, April 08, 2018, 04:00:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Acetylcholin99

Hi,

My name is Michael and I just want to say hello to everybody... I'm new here. The reason why I start looking for pages which help me to restore and clean reels was a huge frustration few weeks ago. My son is 4 or better as he always says he is 4,5 years old and he started fishing with me 1,5 years ago. So as a proud father I wanted to clean his first reel and give the reel a special place. I was very confident it can't be that complicated and so I started to take everything apart. It went smooth.... and as usual in live when sth goes to smooth a big hammer is hanging over your head. So according my school chemistry science knowledge or at least what I can remember was the fact that vinegar acid removes rust. So after I took the reel apart I put most of the peaces in the vinegar acid and was very confident that the rust will disappear.... Unfortunately Murphy's law.... Some of the parts had been dissolved in the vinegar especially the center shaft assembly ( never seen that vinegar can dissolve sth that quickly with that much bubbles) and from some parts the nickel dissolved too and only the cooper is left and the spinner head assembly is black now. At least it is now safe from corrosion.... And at the end the day my son came over and asked if everything is now clean cus he loves his baby reel..... So after that I start to research and found this forum. I read a lot and many questions could be answerd besides the material of the center shaft assembly. I'm still waiting for an answer from Zebco ( meanwhile 2 weeks).
Anyways I'm happy to be here   ;D

erikpowell

Welcome Michael,
Bula! from Fiji

foakes

Welcome, Michael —

What kind of Zebco is your son's reel?

And what is damaged?

Post some pics, if possible.

We might be able to help.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

oc1

Welcome Michael.  Much of the discoloration on the metal can be buffed off with steel wool, including the copper that plated itself on top of the nickel.  The junk metal parts that dissolved my need to be replaced.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pot_metal
-steve

Swami805

Hello Michael, nice job getting your boy started early.Someone on here can help I'm sure
Do what you can with that you have where you are

STRIPER LOU

Welcome aboard Michael! Glad to have you here.

..............Lou from Ct.

Alto Mare

Welcome Michael, enjoy your stay with us.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Tiddlerbasher

Hi Michael and welcome from the UK

Benni3

Welcome from Salem Virginia  ;D

Acetylcholin99

Thanks a lot for the nice welcome!

The reel from my son was in the Zebco RT combo so nothing "special" and I can buy a new combo or just  maybe only the parts but its just the fact that  was my sons first and I  should pay more attention... On the other hand I learn the most from mistakes.

I don't exactly know how the parts are called in English so I used some links from ebay ( This are not my auction and I have no relation to the seller  it's just to describe what happened, when links are not allowed than please delete them )

This parts totally dissolved in the vinegar acid:

The Pinion Gear
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ZEBCO-SPINNING-REEL-PART-JZ-11-1-Pinion-Gear/301887890901?hash=item4649eba5d5:g:0HUAAOSwUuFW2HoG

and this part
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ZEBCO-QUANTUM-BAITCASTING-REEL-PART-NX4651-1310MG-GD1310-Drive-Gear/291697701118?hash=item43ea89b0fe:g:9RwAAOSwPc9W1cNc

from the https://www.ebay.com/itm/Zebco-EE308-Main-Drive-Gear-Spincast-Reel-Part-New-Old-Stock/372172632635?epid=1839239959&hash=item56a737b23b:g:wiIAAOSwFb5aPD7p

From the other parts I try to show some photos. Can I attach  them directly to my posts or do I have to use a special program?

alantani

welcome!  no problem with the posts.  i'm surprised that vinegar had that effect. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

gstours

Hello mike.  This is a very friendly place to visit.  You are very welcome 🙏 and lucky 🍀.  Fishing is what makes the days go by so much better.🐟. Enjoy your son,  he will remember you always.👍

Acetylcholin99

Thank you all for the help and kind words!!

I attached a few photos which show what happened. The first one shows the rest from the gear. I assume it was just a mixture from zinc and graphit which dissolved very quickly in vinegar.

Thx for the tip @oc1 it is exactly who you explained I can brush the cooper alloy away.

So far I haven't seen a child sleeping with one hand holding his tacklebox ;)