Recommendations for SoCal 25# 40# and 60# setups?

Started by pitchinwedge, April 13, 2018, 07:06:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pitchinwedge

Hello all.  My first post here so hopefully I don't break anything. ;D  I've fished off and on for decades around So Cal, but the past couple of seasons has given me the itch again.  Itchy enough to throw a wad of cash on some tackle and I'd really welcome any advice from seasoned veterans.  Basically I want to get two or three rigs for 3/4 to 1.5 day six-packs and party boats out of So Cal, with perhaps some room to grow into longer trips. 

The six-pack charters I've been on recently have provided everything, including the tackle: braid with a short flouro leader for use with all live bait, sardines and anchovies.  These rigs are always better than the old bargain junk I've got sitting in the garage and at least as good as the rental rods I've gotten at the docks.  Based on this limited first hand experience and lots of internet-ing, I'm thinking the following might be good all around set-ups for me:

50# braid to 25# mono topshot or flouro wind-on
   60# braid to 40# mono topshot or flouro wind-on
   80# braid to 60# flouro wind-on

Running these lines on the following United Composites rods:

Elite MAG (I like the extra length for casting)
   Elite MEGA or RCE700H (undecided)
   RCE700XXH

As for reels, I'm still undecided but really like what I see from Okuma and Penn.   I'm thinking good casting star drag for the 25# and then 2-speed lever drags for the 40# and 60#.  Or perhaps no star drag and all 2-speed LD's?  In order of price, they look to be Penn Fathom, Okuma Andros, and Penn Torque.  Obviously, all three reels don't need to be from the same mfg, but I'm OCD. 

Value:
   Fathom FTH15
   Fathom FTH25NLD2
   Fathom FTH40NLD2

Middle:
   Tesoro TSR-5S
   Andros 12NSII
   Andros 16

Expensive:
   Torque TRQ15
   Torque TRQ25NLD2
   Torque TRQ40NLD2

The difference in price between these is not insignificant, with Okuma sitting in the middle.  I've fished the Fathom and the reel certainly did what it was supposed to.  Only the other hand, I didn't hook anything big enough to really test it, and I don't recall it as being "premium" in any way.  Maybe the looks and finish are giving me some bias?  As for the others, I've only handed them in-store.   

So then, fisherman's jewelry or meaningful upgrade? Best straight out of the box?  Handles the best? Require more routine maintenance than the others? Easiest to maintain? Enough of a difference based on cost? Etc.?  Any thoughts and opinions on these set-ups and advice to help me decide would be much appreciated!

Swami805

Looks like you've done your homework and I'm sure the repair pros will chime in on the ins and outs. Only thing I'd say is 2speeds for light line seems excessive just more stuff to break
Do what you can with that you have where you are

MarkT

I use a Phenix psw808mh for 25#. The UC US80 Mag would be good too.
I like the UC US76HP and Phenix psw700xh for 40#
I like the UC 76 Raptor or Predator 76 for 60#. Predator 80 if you like 8'. I use a Phenix phd700x2h.

I'm capable of taking 5 rigs with 5 different makes of reels and 5 makes of rods.
I'm taking a 2 1/2 day over Memorial Day and currently planning on:
20# Fathom 12 / OC Rods Kaiuli 86HF Mag
30# Accurate dx2-400 / psw760h
40# Avet JX 6/3 / UC US76HP
60# Shimano Twinpower 14k / Black Hole CB S-801H for poppers and surface iron.
Will change things up if it looks like big BFT are in the mix.

Trust me, 30# is not too light for a 2-speed. I caught an 85# BFT on the 30# rig above and it took an hour and  1/2 and took me around the boat 7 times, 5 times under the anchor line. I spent plenty of time in low using the rail!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

SoCalAngler

If money is not a issue I'd go with the Torque's, if your more budget minded the Fathom's would be my choice.

I have nothing bad to say about the Okuma reels I just don't own any. The people I know that fish them like them.

My 25 lb set up is a Daiwa BG 20H matched to a Calstar 800L. The only reason I went with the Daiwa was because the Fathom line if reels had not hit the market yet. Now if I was going to buy a reel for 25 lb I'd go with a Fathom 12, maybe the 15. You could back that reel with 30 or 40 lb braid and still be solid to fish 25 lb toppers. I personally like smaller reels that offer the drag, cranking power and line yardage I'm looking for so the 12 may be better fit for me.

I own a Fathom 25N star drag that I use as a 30 lb reel and like it just fine. A friend who lives in Loreto B.C.S. needed a 40 lb reel and asked me what reel he should get, budget was a issue for him. On my recommendation he purchased the Fathom 25n LD two speed and likes it very much. Its a super reel that can handle big fish

My nephew bought the Fathom 40N LD two speed for his 50-60 lb reel but has not caught anything challenging with it, but this reel will handle those tests no problem.

I own reels and rods from several manufactures so I really don't need for them to be from one, but I am a bit OCD also, as all of my reels are black except for one and so are the rod blanks. I like my gear to match in rod and reel color. I don't get my rods custom wrapped any more but but if you saw my gear on a boat in the racks you would be able to easily tell they all belong to the same person.

P.S. The YT in my avatar were caught on my Fathom 25N star and here is a couple of pics of a thresher my buddy caught with bait on his 25N two speed. You can see his reel in the first pic.

SoCalAngler

Sorry Steve,

I can see them on both of the browsers I use. One is AOL, don't laugh I use AOL to stay in contact with my pops. Sometimes it's easier not to try to teach old dogs new tricks, if you know what I mean. The other is Google Chrome and I also can see them on my Android phone. All three work here and even in your copy of my reply I can see them.

Swami805

I can't see them on google chrome either,just a circle with a bar in it.

steelfish

Quote from: Swami805 on April 14, 2018, 02:44:19 PM
I can't see them on google chrome either,just a circle with a bar in it.
pretty sure Mark is using google pics from his account content, I tried using it and I could see my pics on the posts but nobody could, so I stop it using it and now I use inhouse (my gallery /alantani ) storage or attach them with the additional options on the bottom

and to keep the post on track, I can say that buy you the best reels you wallet let you, I know there is a buch of best for the buck reels out there and many bargain reels that could do the job but checking your current rods and selection I see that you are not after bargain or best for the buck reels.

I have used penn fathom LD2 reels and now Im using a Mak15sea, torque reels are in the same value of Mak reels but not the same intended use, Makaira reels are more similar to the tank Penn international reel bit heavy but strong as a reel can be.

why dont you mix and match brands and try to find your favorite, every reel feels different for any angler.

my current setup for Baja (sea of cortez)  fishing its the next

15lb - 25lb Low profile Okuma Komodo 364 -------Okuma inshore stalker 801XH
20lb - 30lb saltist20h/calcutta 400TE ----------- St Croix. 7.6h muskie rod/phenix blackdiamond 700h
30lb- 40lb  trinidad 16 (gold)/solterra 10slx  ----- shimano trevala 5.8 XXH / phenix blackdiamond 700h
50lb - 60lb Makaira 15 SEa / Penn 113hn Baja Special ----Phenix Axis 820h / Seeker SS 6460XH

as you see Im not married with a brand, I like to try every reel I can and chose my goto reels I like and sell the rest.

The Baja Guy

pitchinwedge

Thanks for the feedback and recommendations.  Leaning towards the Fathoms but I'm still mulling this all over. 

The way I see it, this purchase is not an investment.  Rather, it's a discretionary, luxury purchase.  So, just like a car, I might want to sell or trade at some point.  This brings up an important factor: resale value.

Thoughts?

SoCalAngler

I tried uploading the pics using " Additional Options", can you all see them now?

swill88

Quote from: SoCalAngler on April 20, 2018, 02:45:30 AM
I tried uploading the pics using " Additional Options", can you all see them now?

Great pictures!  ...in living color

steve

steelfish

Quote from: SoCalAngler on April 20, 2018, 02:45:30 AM

Yep.. great Pictures Mark
The Baja Guy

Swami805

Resale value it's tough to beat a Newell. There old and you'll be buying used but you can usually sell then for the same you bought hem for. Easy to get parts and to fix, and fish as well as any new star drag reel.

MarkT

I'd hazard a guess that the Fathoms would have the best resale value of the Fathoms, Andros and Torques.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

pitchinwedge

It looks like the resale values are all pretty similar based on searching on the 'bay.  Andros has a very slight advantage, followed by Torque and then Fathom.  Frankly, I didn't find enough transactions for this comparison to be meaningful, which makes me wonder where the secondary market is.  Whatever.  I'll disregard resale value as a deciding factor.  Edit: To my eye, the finish of the Fathoms wears far worse than anodized finishes.

Interestingly, I found few direct comparisons between these three product lines.  Fathom vs Andros or Andros vs Torque.  Fathom vs Torque discussions ultimately seem to end up as a price debate.  FWIW, the most common complaints about these reels are the gaudy gold color of the Torques, abrupt drag curve and sometimes less drag at full than strike with Fathoms, and the lack of thrust bearing with the Andros.  

Despite the lack of a thrust bearing assembly, I didn't find many complaints of Andros bearing failure.  Is it fair to say there shouldn't be any issues if fished safely under max?  Maybe I'll let vanity be the deciding factors and pick the Andros because it's finish will look better on the rod.  Decisions, decisions....

Rivverrat

You should have no issue with the Andros reels. I have three 12's. I've replaced the right side bearing in one & I'm pretty sure it was bad when I got it. Probably from a customer cranking the drag down to far prior to my purchase. These are great reels for 50 line. Mine see 25 lbs. of drag frequently. A lot of people use 60 on them. There is no more handle bind in them at higher drag than the Penn Torques. Maybe less. The drag remains very fishable at higher settings.

I am in no way saying they are an 80 lb. class reel. They are not. However they can produce 25lbs. of drag & a little more when needed to help stop a fish. Doing so with out destroying the pinion bearing.
My thoughts are they are worth every penny paid for them. However I believe the Penn Torque is a more refined reel.

When some one combines the pluses of both reels that will be one dandy reel... Jeff