Aftremarket frame for squall 2 speeds... crazy idea or not?

Started by obawon, April 17, 2018, 03:25:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

obawon

Okay, first of all I have no capacity to do this, but I think it could be a cool idea.  I know there are a lot of great reels out there that have been heavily upgraded and modified with new frames, gearing, drags, spools etc.  In many cases, the stock frame and internals have had significant limitations to address through the upgrades. 

It got me thinking, what if one of the custom aftermarket reel gurus came up with an aftermarket frame for the Penn squall 2 speeds.  Nobody doubts that they are good reels internally .. near clones of the vsx internationals.  While the frames themself are very strong and rigid for graphite, heat dissipation seems to be the biggest limiting factor and why you wouldn't choose a squall 16vs to Target bigger tuna with 80 pound toppers.

What if there were a machined (or even cast, or combo of both) aluminum frame available for the 16vs maybe even that also rotated gearbox forward too.  I think the only needed additions would be drag cam and the pressed in plate bearing maybe...other tweaks would be optional.

What do you guys think?  I have a 16vs that I picked up new shortly after they came out just because...mostly collecting dust since moving away from big game fishing..been wondering what to do with  it as I have other metal framed for 80+...if  could get a drop in metal frame for 150-200 I probably wouldn't think twice.

Thoughts.. Am I crazy?  Seems way more sensible than a hotrodded jigmaster or senator (ducking to avoid lightning strikes).

MarkT

I'd just sell the Squall and get an International instead.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

obawon

Quote from: MarkT on April 17, 2018, 03:27:57 PM
I'd just sell the Squall and get an International instead.

Hi Mark,

Yep, generally speaking, that's definitely the best answer...I have the Fathom 2 speeds and also a Mak 16 & 20.  But like many others in this forum I like to tinker ;D