245LD OR 45 GLS

Started by Threegals, April 26, 2018, 02:14:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Threegals

I had a customer bring in what I think is either a Penn 245LD OR A 45GLS. All the identifying labels were worn away.  Reel work as expected.  He wanted the rubber seal replaced in between the side plate ( handle side) and the frame. They had cracked and are coming away from the fram. I have looked at all the usual schematic places, checked with Scott's Mysticparts.com with no luck.  Can anyone shed some light on this gasket/seal?  Is there another similar Penn Reel of which I am not aware?  Thank you, Threegals.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Gman_WC

I looked at the schematic for both reels and can't find what your describing.
-g
Walnut Creek, CA

akfish

I used to see quite a few of these reels and can't remember ever seeing a rubber side plate seal...
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Threegals

Gman, akfish,

Thanks for the feedback.  I think Alan did a  tutorial on one a few years back.  I just need to tear into the reel and find some parts that will ID the reel.  Alan stated that replacing the gasket was NOT necessary.  If I can ID the reel, and get the part from Scott's (I think it is Mystick Parts now), I'll order one. If not, I'll try and convince owner it is not needed.  Thank you again.   Threegals

Jim Fujitani

Last summer I tore into a 225LD that I had bought new, but had hardly used.  I had no schematics or box because the reel was part of an open package rod/reel set, bought from Sportsmart in summer 2001.  I had to use the 245LD/45GLS tutorial to get into it (So there is a tutorial on-site somewhere.)  I don't recall finding a seal on my reel.  The internals seemed simple.  But I couldn't figure out how the drag worked because the washer sort of floats against the spool 'fins'.  But how good is my memory...

The reel worked fine with live bait for smaller YFT and YT on my 7-day.

Threegals

Yes sir, I have those schematics, neither had the rubber seal gasket.  From Alan's tutorial, I'm thinking it is a 40 GS.  Trying to find the schematic and part.  Thank you for the response.  I really appreciate the help from this site.   Threegals