Couple of DQ Observations and a Possible Hint for Spool Restorations

Started by foakes, May 02, 2018, 07:38:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Been a busy time...

Lost two younger brothers over the last couple of years, and a great brother in law.

We are dealing with helping my sister up in Port Orchard, Washington — with depression and personal issues regarding her moving and selling her home up in Walla Walla.

After looking at options and possibilities — it will take some repair, plus a new roof, selling off shop equipment and any furniture, etc.  Then get the house "staged & ready" — list and sell.

Of course, any of us would do these things anyway — but as the only male left in our family — these things come to me to get handled.  Plus deal with my sister's issues — which are tough at this point.

And we have lost 90 large trees on our property, plus another 90 on an adjoining parcel that I am working on dropping and processing.  Just getting back into the swing after injuring my right knee a couple of months ago.  It was tough to even get up the stairs to the reel shop.  It is OK now.  Should get the trees done this year.  It has been 2 years so far of heavy work with no time for much recreation.  But I have lost 34 pounds in 12 months — and feel great!

Built out a pair of Quicks for personal use by an owner of a fly fishing shop up in Maine — a 110 & a 220.  Used mostly new parts.  

Take a look at these side by side — same size casing, smaller rotor on the 110, oversize and tough components designed for a lifetime of angling.  These make a nice pair — 4 lb on the 110 — 8 lb on the 220.  An angler can switch off with these, and capably handle most anything in freshwater North America.

Always had a problem cleaning and restoring the old plastic spools.  While they were capable, they would show fading or whitish areas.

Cleaned this old one with an ultrasonic cleaner and Dawn dish soap — rinsed and dried.  Then dropped it in a jar of "Black Magic" that I use for detailing the black rubber and plastic on cars.  Left it in for 24 hours.  Wiped off all of the BM — let it set for a few days to make sure.  Generally, after dressing, the white would come back on these old spools.  So far, it has been 4 days, with no signs of reverting from its new looking shiny black.

Just a few observations that may help a few folks.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

QuoteGenerally, after dressing, the white would come back on these old spools.  So far, it has been 4 days, with no signs of reverting from its new looking shiny black.

My experience has been that, regardless of the product used to remove the chalky UV discoloration, eventually, when subjected to water, especially warm water, the gray chalky film comes back fairly quickly, and I've tried just about every product or option available. Most look fine while sitting on the shelf but UV rays and water are really tough on certain types of plastics. Even the white spools eventually discolor and get brittle.  :(
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

oldmanjoe

I have tried Armor all ,silicone spray,  and several headlight kits .  They all look good until the warm water test .

I my self don`t use sun tan sprays , but may carry it for my reel spools..     
   Turtle wax  Formula 2001 will be tested this year.    joe
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Midway Tommy

Quote from: oldmanjoe on May 03, 2018, 12:16:14 AM
I have tried Armor all ,silicone spray,  and several headlight kits .  They all look good until the warm water test .

I my self don`t use sun tan sprays , but may carry it for my reel spools..     
   Turtle wax  Formula 2001 will be tested this year.    joe

QuoteTurtle wax  Formula 2001 will be tested this year. 

It is a slight step above ArmorAll, on automobiles, but shows little difference on plastic reel spools.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

oldmanjoe

After reading Fred`s post ,were he let them  sit in the jar for 24 hours may be the ticket .
I only have sprayed and wiped .     I see another test coming up...
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Shark Hunter

Fred,
Those reels look great. ;)
You are a good man, and take on so many tasks that an ordinary human couldn't handle.
As far as those Trees, I hate cutting wood. Maybe because when I was a youngster, My Uncles and grandpa would cut tree after tree to stockpile for the winter. When I bought my home, my wife wanted a fireplace. I said No Way!
You take care of yourself, and best of Luck with your sisters situation.
Daron
Life is Good!