Headed to Lake Arrowhead, CA

Started by Bill B, May 05, 2018, 02:25:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

I was invited to fish Lake Arrowhead tomorrow (Saturday).  He said they have some MONSTER trout biting right now.....hope Im not under estimating the size of the trout   ;D  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

MarkT

You should be good... for at least a laugh!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Big Tim

Take the Cradle Reel Bill  ;D Have fun.

Tim

Rivverrat

I've always wanted to try a handle like that on your Senator.

MarkT

I had a place up there in Twin Peaks (no lake rights) for 28 years and finally sold it last August. I haven't been up there since then. There are trout down in Deep Creek east of the lake, I've fished it in the past.

Bill B

Quote from: Rivverrat on May 05, 2018, 03:44:04 AM
I've always wanted to try a handle like that on your Senator.

For scale that handle is on a 9/0 with a 930 leveline next to it.  You wouldn't happen to have a traditional penn handle you'd be willing to trade?  Send a pm if your interested......I might have some others you might like too......Bill

Rivverrat

Bill I'll look. Wont be near internet access for the next couple of days. See what I might have when I get back... Jeff

Ron Jones

I've caught quite a few trout in the streams feeding the lake. Of course, that was a couple decades ago.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

MarkT

Fish in streams feeding the lake? Where? There are fish downstream in deep creek.

Swami805

That's one of those old rock cod handles on your 9/0 Bill, for fishing 600-1200' with a 5lb sinker. That's the deluxe one, I think it has bearings in it. Really helpful for that but not much else.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Rivverrat

Quote from: Swami805 on May 05, 2018, 01:17:50 PM
That's one of those old rock cod handles on your 9/0 Bill, for fishing 600-1200' with a 5lb sinker. That's the deluxe one, I think it has bearings in it. Really helpful for that but not much else.

I've had trouble wrapping my mind around the thought of using a handle like that for for skull dragging big Blues & Flathead out from structure & bridge pilings... Jeff

Bill B

Arrowhead Update:

I loaded the truck with fishing tackle, a Penn leveline 930 on a Cabelas Downrigger rods, ice chests, and misc stuff and headed out from riverside, Ca at 0600 hrs headed to Arrowhead.  Met my buddy Daylion and his 5 yo son Evan at Stater Bros parking lot for a Cop Killer (donuts) breakfast at 0730 hrs.  We the headed to the private access dock and loaded our gear into his 24' Bennington pontoon boat.  Tackle for the day is 4 lb test mono, 18 size treble hook, water bobber, and rainbow power bait.   Bill

Daylion was at the helm and the first mate Evan was on look out

We headed across the lake to Shelter Cove, where Daylion broke the skunk off the boat with the first fish

We all took turns handing our rods over to Evan, as he reeled in each fish with the gusto of a seasoned pro.  We stopped fishing for a potty break and ice cream for Evan with 8 fish on the boat by 1000 hrs

After a guided tour of the township by Daylion we headed back to the boat and continued fishing.  Local knowledge of the lake was all the difference.  There were quite a few fishermen on the lake but they were not doing well.  Daylion explained he has lived at Arrowhead for his entire life and the above mentioned rigging ALWAYS catches fish...

We boarded the boat and fished six more areas, Emerald Cove, City Docks, the backside of the island and a few more areas always produced fish.  The fish we caught were healthy, vibrant in color and great fighters.  We finished the day with a water tour of the lake, pointing out numerous houses on the lake edge, by the likes of Sammy Hagar, Tom Hanks, John Candy, attorneys, inventors, and many more.  

We finished the day at 1600 hrs with 15 fish, the largest was 3 lbs, 18".  I came home with 12 rainbow trout, field dressed weighed in at 16 lbs.  This was my first major trip since coming abck home from Sacramento, and one to go down in the history books.  We caught so many healthy fighters, I almost  ;)  felt bad....but not quite.....

A few more pictures...

Evan with his money shot

Proud papa and son

And yours truly

Swami805

Nothing like local knowledge,thanks for the report. A day Evan is unlikely to forget, all from the comfort of a floating taco stand. Great day on the water.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

David Hall

What a great day on the water. Three generations fishing together.
The problem you're going to have is explaining to Evan one day that you don't catch a boat full of big fish everywhere you fish, sometimes it's only a few and sometimes it's only little ones and sometimes you catch a skunk!
He's going to remember this day the rest of his life.