Saltiga 20H

Started by Scattergun2570, May 08, 2018, 04:36:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scattergun2570

My friend has one of these for sale..but I was on the beach with him today watching him cast with it. He was casting a 2oz weight,that was only going about 60 ft. I thought that maybe the spool tension was tight,but it wasn't. I loosened it a bit more,same results. I figure a 10ft rod paired with this reel should cast a lot better than 60ft. When it casts,the sound of the spool sounds as if it's going to be a 100yd cast,but it just dies really quick. Does it have an internal braking system of sorts,or is it just this spool tension knob that controls it? Any ideas?

alantani

gummed up bearings would be my first guess.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Scattergun2570

Quote from: alantani on May 08, 2018, 06:13:29 AM
gummed up bearings would be my first guess.   :-\

Do you think they can be freed up with tsi321?

alantani

i'd clean them with carb cleaner first, then TSI, then see.  but, yeah, i'll bet they're gummed up.......
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Cor

Those reels usually easily cast 90 yds with 3 oz weight and 0.5 mm mono.
It does have a fairly heavy spool, so a 2 oz weight is probably too low for a decent cast.

Also check that it does not have some gungy thick grease stuff on the shaft under the pinion gear, clean and a drop of thin oil.
Cornelis

Scattergun2570

Quote from: alantani on May 08, 2018, 06:44:49 AM
i'd clean them with carb cleaner first, then TSI, then see.  but, yeah, i'll bet they're gummed up.......

So the spool tension knob is the only braking system.

Scattergun2570

But if they were gummed up,,wouldn't it feel sluggish in free spool? This reel seems smooth.

handi2

I believe they have 2 red or blue "weights" on the spool. I would take care of the bearings and where the spool shaft goes through the pinion gear.

I just finished 6 Tekota 600's a guy uses for Catfishing. He casts with these reels. TSI was the trick.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

steelfish

can you give us some more info

specs of the reel you are using, line ratings, my guess is that you might need 3oz or 4oz to reach the 90yds also which line test are you actually using on the reel.

I have a saltist 20h and with a 9ft rod and using 3oz sinker (no bait) I can reach 90yds easy, the key to reach decent distances on a cast is how good the rod gets "charged" by the casting weight, if your rod is too stiff and you are using way low weigts sinker for your rod.
The Baja Guy

Donnyboat

before you start placing larger weights on your rod, check out rod rating, last thing you want is a rod broken in half, Alan is right, about the bearings, take the shields of & flush the bearing out, then use TSI or a light synthetic oil, good luck, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Scattergun2570

Quote from: steelfish on May 08, 2018, 11:33:34 PM
can you give us some more info

specs of the reel you are using, line ratings, my guess is that you might need 3oz or 4oz to reach the 90yds also which line test are you actually using on the reel.

I have a saltist 20h and with a 9ft rod and using 3oz sinker (no bait) I can reach 90yds easy, the key to reach decent distances on a cast is how good the rod gets "charged" by the casting weight, if your rod is too stiff and you are using way low weigts sinker for your rod.
[/quote

Sorry for the late reply..had no internet for a couple of days. I don`t think its the rod..its rated 1-4oz..and we were casting 2oz and it was going about 60ft.. I dont think its about loading the rod.

Scattergun2570

You don`t suggest packing the bearing with grease after flushing? I assume  they come from Daiwa with grease correct?

SoCalAngler

Quote from: Scattergun2570 on May 10, 2018, 06:32:38 AM
i'd clean them with carb cleaner first, then TSI, then see.  but, yeah, i'll bet they're gummed up.......

You don`t suggest packing the bearing with grease after flushing? I assume  they come from Daiwa with grease correct?

I just serviced a Saltiga 40 last night. The spool bearings in this reel were sealed and Daiwa's CRBB bearings which don't get the best freespool but a are good enough. I removed one seal on each bearing and saw no grease in them but these were oiled. Cleaned the bearings with carb cleaner, oiled them with TSI and put them back in. Freespool increased quite a bit.

The Saltiga's do in fact have two breaking blue or red tabs on the spool but in this case no tabs were in this reel.

The 20H should cast way better than your reporting so a few things may be going on. Spool bearings like Alan said, maybe the guy is fishing way too heavy mono on that reel or maybe he is not the best caster and using too much thumb pressure on the spool.

Edit: One other thing make sure there is no grease inside the pinion gear or on the spool shaft. Clean the inside of the pinion gear and spool shaft with a q-tip, then get another q-tip moisten it with TSI and lube the inside of the pinion and rub it on the spool shaft.

Scattergun2570

Well, I can say it's not a heavy line issue.He has 30lb Braid on it. I will have to get the reel,from him and open it up and I'll post pics showing the type of bearings it has etc... thanks for the info.

Donnyboat

Grease in bearings, can slow them down a bit, if your doing a lot of casting, you could thin the grease a bit, I don't think TSI & grease together are compatable, if your lubing with any type of oil, you have to service the reel more often, if you using grease, it also depends on the temperature your fishing in, cold conditions make the grease thicker, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat