Previous topic - Next topic

whalebreath

Overall quite a successful trip.

Some pics from July 28 & 29 with Spirit Bear Charters

Weapon of Salmon destruction

One of so many

Happy angler!

Gorgeous colours!

This was my fish-the scrapes you can see came from a  Shark who tried and failed to snatch the fish as I was fighting it.

Local denizen

Waiting on a Hali bite

Good Night Nurse!

Lotsa Butts!

Self explanatory

This is how you spell success!

One of the nicest WCVI days in recent memory

Dominick

Good job.  I'm jealous :).  The Salmon fishing off the California coast is just heating up.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

wallacewt

nice fish
1st photo.you have got a fly reel with a popper on it.
do you use it on the downrigger and troll.never seen that before!
is it on standby for surface fish.never seen that before!
havent seen much have i :D
cheers

Norcal Pescador

Very nice! Ucluelet's been on my list of things to do for a couple of years now.
Quoteyou have got a fly reel with a popper on it.........never seen that before!
is it on standby for surface fish.never seen that before!
havent seen much have i  :D
You're not the only one, Mate! :D :D
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

akfish

It's a single action mooching reel -- essentially a large fly reel and the classic Canadian salmon reel -- with a classic salmon trolling plug. These are fished off downriggers in Canada as well as Alaska.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

whalebreath

Quote from: akfish on July 31, 2011, 02:34:33 PM
It's a single action mooching reel -- essentially a large fly reel and the classic Canadian salmon reel -- with a classic salmon trolling plug. These are fished off downriggers in Canada as well as Alaska.
Right-and those plugs are fished @ almost 4 mph!

http://www.tomiclures.com/

http://www.islander.com/

wallacewt

thanks akfish,whalebreadth
its got me intrigued those plugs.
do they float or sink or both?
what about other pelagics,tuna,macks,
the mind boggles.

akfish

They float at rest then have a wide wiggle when trolled at 3 or 4 mph. There are several brands: The one shown looks like a Tomic; in my area of Alaska, I see more Luhr Jensen J-Plugs but see quit a few Tomics as well.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

whalebreath

Here's a closeup of the bite marks/scrapes on the small Spring I almost lost to some kind of Shark.

slip tip

Nice trip and some great eating fish to boot!

Regards,
David
If you kill it, grill it!

seaeagle2

Were you guys running off shore, or fishing inside ? Looks pretty flat, I start chumming in the outstide swells :'(, but I've thought about towing my boat up and hitting the inside..
"One life, don't blow it" Kona Brewing
\"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\'d be a shortage of fishing poles\" Doug Larson

whalebreath

Quote from: seaeagle2 on August 05, 2011, 01:44:09 PM
Were you guys running off shore, or fishing inside ? Looks pretty flat, I start chumming in the outstide swells :'(, but I've thought about towing my boat up and hitting the inside..
We were out on the Banks  but Inside was decent if not outstanding-just had to hunt a bit more.

Steve-O